Babies now or in the spring?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ellie, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Hi,
    I am new here and have read with interest and smiles for awhile. You guys are a fantastic resource.

Anyway, I want to get 6 chickens and a rooster. I could order them now or wait until next April.

The way I see it is that now, I have a shorter time to spend with them, and later I have a longer time to spend with them given weather conditions....

But I really do want to get them. [​IMG] My concern about now, is I need to be with them to have friendly chickens. In November it will start raining and it will be more difficult to "play with them".

What is your opinion? I live near Redding, California and we have pretty mild weather in the winter.

Thanks,
    Ellie

Last edited: Aug 11, 2007
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, either way, if you get chicks now or in the spring, you'll be glued to them till they are old enough to be left alone outside. I personally am expecting some chicks to hatch in about a week [​IMG]

Generally though, you'll have a greater variety to choose from if you get them in the spring.

3. FamilyOfChickens

FamilyOfChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    Yep, and it'll be easier to keep them outside and warm in the spring.

Like silkiechicken said, you won't be able to leave them alone. [​IMG] But really, you don't have to be with them all the time as chicks for them to be friendly as adults.

Do you know what breed you might want to get?

Good luck!

4. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Thanks for the quick replies... I am so silly, I want to order from Ideal tonight! [​IMG]

I am planning on
    2 RIR's
    2 Buff Orps
    2 Plymouth Rocks
    1 Rooster... I think Buff Orp because I really don't want a mean one... but I realize it is the individual bird and how I treat them.

Disposition is important..I have 5 grandchildren.

Please feel free to let me know if you see anything that I should do differently. I had chickens on a farm in Minnesota a million years ago... so don't remember a lot.

Ellie

5. FamilyOfChickens

FamilyOfChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    If you're going for disposition, those are some great ones. From what I hear, Buff Orpingtons are some of the friendliest chickens.

But, I mean, come on! Don't you want more than just 6? [​IMG]

( By the way, Ellie is one of my favorite names. [​IMG] )

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Hi, ellie.

I think any time you want to get the chicks and get started is the perfect time. I know planning ahead for colder weather is important but I think in this day and age with electric heat and us crazy chicken people willingly letting chicks live in our houses for weeks on end that cold weather is nothing to worry about.

I am in central Va and we don't have to worry about cold weather until late November. Last year it was warm right up until Christmas. If you live in a similar climate you have PLENTY of time to get your birds up to size. As long as you provide a nice little coop that you can give them a break from freezing nights and blowing winds you will be able to raise a lovely little backyard flock.

They birds will grow so very fast in the first two months they won't resemble any of the baby chicks you had in the beginning.

Buff Orpingtons are one of my favorite breeds. I have some of all the birds you listed. We enjoy them all. My kids and I handle them daily. They come up and peck to get our attn and as if asking for us to pick them up. Very funny birds. You will love them.

Good luck!

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I say you order 25 pullets and you'll be sure to get a accident roo in there! Common, you know you want a full quarter box! [​IMG]

8. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I agree with silkiechicken!!!!! Forget the 6, you are going to end up with way more than that anyway. The thing is with chickens we just can't stop! The more the merrier. If you are in a mild climate you do still have time to set up a nice flock.

9. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    No, no, no

Just get a few to begin with, THEN you can get more later! [​IMG]:

10. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    Since you live in california, i think if you really want them go ahead and get them if you think you are prepared. I guarantee you will want more in the spring. My chicks are all about 13-18 weeks and yes you need to spend time with them at first, but now i just spend time with them on my days off and before work and they still are just great birds. I wanted only 12, ended up having 38 birds and i'm starting to plan for more chicks next spring, beleive me it's really an illness for us all here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by