babies, now what

artsy1

Songster
8 Years
Sep 5, 2011
sarasota
I have a pair of parakeets and they just hatched out 4 eggs, in their box about a week ago, I have peeked in and they are doing fine.
What do I do now?
just leave them be?
how old will they be when they come out ? do I take them out, or will they come out on their own?
their parents aren't tame and I would like to hand tame them.
Any answers would be helpful. thanks

Congrats!
jumpy.gif
I used to raise keets,and the parents usually do a great job with them on their own. I did start handling mine after about 2 weeks to get them used to people. I know not everyone does that, but it worked for me and got the babies friendly right off. Have fun!

Make sure you keep a close eye on them so you can see if anything goes wrong and have an avian vet's number handy - wouldn't want to lose any of those beautiful chicks!
smile.png

Quote:
If they are destined to be pets, you can co-parent them. Handle them gently for short periods of time (you don't want to stress them). You can feed them a little, too, if you are experienced with hand feeding baby parrots. If not, don't sweat it (and I recommend that you don't try unless you get some instruction, it's easy to aspirate them, especially tiny budgies) and just interact with them. Once they are on solid foods you can offer treats by hand too. Co-parenting, with parrots, is the best way to have a bird that is both socialized and trustful of humans while it still "knows" that it's a bird and how to act. I believe that a lot of problems with hand-fed baby parrots that are pulled from their parents entirely is that they bond too strongly with people and it can sometimes cause a lot of psychological problems and bad behaviors in the long run, especially in individuals that are more sensitive.

Back
Top Bottom