1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

babies, now what

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by artsy1, Dec 24, 2011.

1. artsy1

artsy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    sarasota
    I have a pair of parakeets and they just hatched out 4 eggs, in their box about a week ago, I have peeked in and they are doing fine.
    What do I do now?
    just leave them be?
    how old will they be when they come out ? do I take them out, or will they come out on their own?
    their parents aren't tame and I would like to hand tame them.
    Any answers would be helpful. thanks

2. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    They start weaning at 28 days old the parents should take care of them until they are weaned.

3. happytraylz

happytraylz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Congrats! [​IMG] I used to raise keets,and the parents usually do a great job with them on their own. I did start handling mine after about 2 weeks to get them used to people. I know not everyone does that, but it worked for me and got the babies friendly right off. Have fun!

4. Pretty Birdie

Pretty Birdie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    Make sure you keep a close eye on them so you can see if anything goes wrong and have an avian vet's number handy - wouldn't want to lose any of those beautiful chicks! [​IMG]

5. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    Quote:If they are destined to be pets, you can co-parent them. Handle them gently for short periods of time (you don't want to stress them). You can feed them a little, too, if you are experienced with hand feeding baby parrots. If not, don't sweat it (and I recommend that you don't try unless you get some instruction, it's easy to aspirate them, especially tiny budgies) and just interact with them. Once they are on solid foods you can offer treats by hand too. Co-parenting, with parrots, is the best way to have a bird that is both socialized and trustful of humans while it still "knows" that it's a bird and how to act. I believe that a lot of problems with hand-fed baby parrots that are pulled from their parents entirely is that they bond too strongly with people and it can sometimes cause a lot of psychological problems and bad behaviors in the long run, especially in individuals that are more sensitive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by