Babies on your Pantry Shelf..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by destorieswind, Jun 5, 2011.

1. destorieswind

destorieswind Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    Hello there,

I sell eggs to suppliers of local farmers markets. Recently I was asked if I had a rooster fertilizing my eggs. I stated yes, since roosters offer great protection in warning of dangers (since my hens are completely free range). Now, I know that you can eat fertilized eggs and never really know the difference as long as you collect eggs daily, which I do. However, the concern from my suppliers was that the customers were storing the eggs of the shelf of their non-refrigerated pantry and the embryos were developing enough to become noticeable.

My question is: Can the fertilized eggs develop very small embryos after a few weeks of sitting on a room temperature pantry shelf? From my research, the eggs need to be at least 99 degrees F for anything to develop.

Any personal experience or knowledge of the subject would be welcomed.

Thanks!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Unfortunately, they can. They can't develop enough to hatch, and I don't know what the minimum temperature is for some development. I've read as low as mid-70's, but I don't believe that. My house thermostat is set on 78 in the summer and I store them on the kitchen counter without development. But I do think that temperature is in the low to mid-80's for some development.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by