babies outing (pics)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sharol, Aug 1, 2010.

1. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    I took my 3 week olds out to their run for three hours this afternoon. At first they just hung out in the dog carrier I used to transport them, but then they relaxed and enjoyed "stretching their wings" literally. They had lots more space and had a great time. They are all absolutely exhausted. Between the dog barking episodes and the very stressful cicada that got into their enclosure, they had a big afternoon.

Tomorrow I'm going to put pine shavings down on the floor of the coop and let them go in and out of that part of their home rather than leaving the carrier in the run. If the weather cooperates, I'll leave them out a bit longer tomorrow. Our highs are in the low 90's this week, so it should be just perfect for them.

I'm going to go tuck them in for the night, I think. They are all dozing on the roosts right now (in the brooder). Very sleepy babies.

[​IMG]
    My Welsummer, Lisbeth, loved the grass. She is still shy with me, but she loved being outside.

[​IMG]
    Misty is my mystery chick. I think she is a Partridge Rock. She spent lots of time scratching around the dog kennel.

[​IMG]
    Angel is one of the Delawares. She is the one with the darker feathers at the base of her tail. Really strutting her stuff (actually, she had a toe caught on the waterer).

I took some other pictures, but they were with my new phone, and not worth posting.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  2. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Little sweethearts! So cute. You will probably have more people look at this if you edit your subject line to add 'pics'...

3. Bikergrl

Bikergrl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2010
    Since about day 3 my Australorp has been taking her babies exploring. I was very wary at first of letting them out of the coop but she is ├╝ber-protective and after a week of free ranging they've grown incredibly fast, and they are super healthy and happy.

4. sharol

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    done.

Quote:

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Adorable! I love pictures of the little ones exploring the outside world. Heck, I love photos of grown up chickens ranging freely!

I just spent some quality time with my flock and always wish I had my camera with me, because things will change from moment to moment and if I go inside to get my camera, they'll all move somewhere else and do something else, but in a location where the camera won't get the best pictures.

So I just live vicariously through everybody else's photos. (Mostly.)

6. LizGled628

LizGled628 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    I love the little one posing with the waterer! Adorbs!

7. sharol

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    She's a sweetie. The first to hop on my arm in the brooder, the first to snuggle down in the crook of my arm when I was trying to clean the brooder. She's also really bossy with the other chicks. She's either an alpha or, shudder, a roo. Oh well, I secretly want a roo.

Quote:

8. ajc123

ajc123 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Awwww, how cute! And it looks like your mystery chick is a Golden-Laced Wyandotte. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by