1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Babies outside for the first time today

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by microbiomom, Oct 15, 2009.

1. microbiomom

microbiomom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    South Alabama
    I took my 1.5 week old babies outside today keeping them in their brooder box which I put into their coop. I just stayed with them in the "87 degree feels like 91 degree" afternoon for about 20 minutes. After their initial agitation they settle down and acted like happy chicks. When I brought them back in, they all took a nap. I'm hoping hubby and son will continue this activity next week while I am out of town on business. In pros, what do you think?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Provided the weather stays dry, I see nothing wrong with this. I took my chicks out every day starting at 2 1/2 weeks. Spent a good portion of every day outside with them. They loved to run around in the yard.
    Just be sure they have access to water, food and shade. You (or DH & DS) need to be the mama hen. If they start huddling and peeping loudly, they are too cold and they need to get back under their heat lamp.

3. microbiomom

microbiomom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    South Alabama
    Thanks will pass on the hubby so he will KNOW it is good. We are expecting cooler weather so will watch the temps. I always freak about care of my animals when I leave town. I really hate to leave the babies because of their almost exponential growth now.
    Blessings

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Which is exactly why we haven't had a vacation since I got the chickens. [​IMG] I can't stand to leave them. Did it once and I was unhappy with the care they got from DSD.
    Now we have a new puppy and are getting ready to add a second one. I may never leave this farm again.
    Good luck to you and Blessings! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by