Babies outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nigellas, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Nigellas

Nigellas Songster

Jun 14, 2008
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I've got 4 two-week old babies - I was hoping to move their living quarters outside in a week or two - Not into the big coop with the grownups, but to something smaller that I'm going to throw together. It's still pretty cold in Michigan - We're going back and forth between days with snow and other with sun - Nighttime temps are in the 30s. If I provided a light, is it still too cold for them outside? Should I instead make a larger brooder for them to hang out in my basement? They will definitely be outgrowing the fish tank they are in currently, so I'll need to do something...
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for your advice.

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Songster

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I'm not far from you and I wouldn't put mine outside. It's still pretty cold and I'd worry that you'd get them out there and we'd get another cold snap. It's a pain having them in the house, I know other people brood outside. Hopefully someone will have some suggestions for you soon.

3. write2caroline

write2caroline Songster

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    My husband built me a pallet coop for my babies when they were two weeks old. I closed off one of the 3 doors and covered it with wire so I could open it and close it. My chicks loved it and I was surprised how fast they learned to roost on the higher bars. Now it is a regular coop, I left the wire and added a nest box. 5 of the girls sleep there still and the others moved into the "Big house" Another bigger coop.

I forgot to mention the materials were FREE and he got the Pallets FREE and it was not hard and even the paint was FREE!!!!
    Caroline

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: