babies outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aafairchild, Aug 24, 2014.

1. aafairchild

aafairchild Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2012
    Hi All,

I know that this subject has been beaten to death, but we all love our chicks and want the best for them. My Meyer babies are 2 weeks old today. They are inside with no heat and avg temp of 77-78. I is only getting down to 75-76 here in central tx at night. I really want to put them in the grow out pen with 4 month olds. My only concern is the possibility of them getting wet. The pen has a tarp over it, but that is not a grantee they will stay dry. They will also have a small dog kennel they can shelter in and I will put bedding in it. They have some feathers, but their chest and head are still fluff. Would they be OK or should I try to keep them in for another week?

Thanks
    Alice

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They will be fine with the weather, though they will probably want to stay dry. My concern would be with mixing them with older chicks. This would be much safer when they are all about the same size; chicks that small are likely to get attacked. If they can live next to each other with a chicken wire fence in between for a few weeks, that would be good. Then you can try combining them either on the roost after dark, or while free ranging with distractions, including hiding places and a few treats. More than one food and water station is a good idea as well.

3. aafairchild

aafairchild Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2012
    Thanks. The other 4 are about a month old. I was planning on the littles in a playpen inside the grow out pen with food and shelter and food and water outside for the juve birds. I would keep a brooder available in case it actually rains at least if they get wet I can bring them back inside to dry out and warm up

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by