1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Babies pasting up

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nu2chixinmo, Sep 10, 2007.

1. nu2chixinmo

nu2chixinmo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2007
    Sturgeon, MO
    I hope, and am fairly sure someone can help me out here. I got new babies form Mypetchicken a few weeks ago(LOVE EM)[​IMG] - I have a few that keep gettin the "pasty wooshy tooshy" I have tried cutting, not much fun, tried water in the syringe, whick works good for me, but they continue to get "pasted" up. What is going on? The poor babies do not like me squirting them with warm water all the time. Is there something else I could try? - I appreciate all your input!!!

Nichole

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    I used a warm paper towel, held it to the poo to soften it, wiped bum clean and then used mineral oil to keep more poo from sticking. I've also read on here that you can add a bit of cornmeal to their feed to help solve the problem. It is usually just from stress of shipping and will clear up in a day or two.

Dawn

3. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    I got my chicks from mypetchicken too. My sebright had a pasty bottom until she was about 4 weeks old. I would wash it off with warm water in the sink every night and put Vaseline on it.
    That worked pretty good, but at around 4 weeks she started grooming herself better 'around there' and I ran out of medicated starter and switched to nonmedicated.

Here she is a week ago. Pasty-butt-free!! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. nu2chixinmo

nu2chixinmo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2007
    Sturgeon, MO
    Thanks for the replys - Dawn u have been a big help, especially looking at your banty pics. I will try the mineral oil tonight to see if that helps. I knew someone on here could give me some wonderful advice:)

Have a GREAT Day!!!!
    Nichole

5. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hi Nichole!

So glad that I can help you out! [​IMG]

I'd raised chickens before, but was new to raising day-old chicks. I have this forum and its fine folks to thank for my success! [​IMG]

Dawn

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Nichole, another thing to consider is heat/cold stress. Often chicks get pasty if the temp is not just right. Some are more sensitive to this than others, so check the light position and see if it's time for adjustments.

For those pesky pasty heinies, we use a warm wet q-tip to clean the vent opening, then apply baby oil to keep future poops from sticking. If it is reocurring, sometimes you gotta pull the fluff off their bottom and that eliminates the problem (altho you have to be careful not to tear the skin).

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by