Babies pecking at mama hen's eyes....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Wayne, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Wayne

Wayne Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2008
    Hillsborough, NC
    This is a new experience for me....1st time chicken breeder [​IMG] Two broodie BO's both have 12 eggs under them and have new chicks that are 3 days old. Both hens chicks peck at the mama's eyes...Is this normal ?

When will they move their chicks out of the nest ? No brood box, just regular egg laying nesting area.

Do I need to do anything special ? Or will the hens follow their instinc and raise them on their own...

Thanks for your advice..

wayne

2. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I have only had one broody raise babies and she just did a wonderful job until 6 weeks or so and then acted like she had never seen them before in her life. They were ready to be in the flock by then anyway.
    Caroline

3. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    I noticed mine did the same thing, mama didn't seem to care either. They stopped around a week or so, they just had to peck at everything. They never injured mama, she did have a few sore looking spots that healed the next day, no worries!

oh and....as long as the nest is on the floor, the mama will move them out when she wants to and you don't need to do a thing except provide food and water. Broodies are great, so much easier than hatching yourself!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I've seen this with a lot of young chicks. The momma hen always tolerates it and usually the pecking stops after a few days,

sandie

5. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Yep, eye pecking the mama is normal.
    Mama hen will raise the babies for couple months or so probably.
    They go on instinct, do a fine job on their own.
    And it really is amazing how high up baby chicks can get once they are a couple weeks old.

Have fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by