babies - questions - sand, worms, dust bath

Charrisse

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 15, 2012
Nashville, Indiana
My babies are now 10 days old. They are thriving well.
I have been treating them to earthworms from the yard (so funny to watch!), mealworms, and I bought a bag of crickets from the pet store, scrambled eggs, raw oats a treat or two a day when we sit with them. - is this all ok?
Do i need to give them "grit"? they are on chick starter - non medicated.
I put a box with (clean) sand in it, in the brooder, I thought they would like to dust bathe.. well, they love the box and all cram in it.. but to eat the sand! Is that bad? Just like kids at the playground.. eating the dang sand. I took the box out, till I could consult you all LOL.
They are just so friendly and sweet. When I sit with them, they climb all over me and coo and sleep and well, poop haha I have so much extra laundry now... lol

Yes, if you are giving them mealworms, crickets and the like, they need grit - that is why they are eating the sand. They have no teeth so the only way they can digest their food is using the grit in their gizzard to grind it up for them!

Last edited:
Yes, if you are giving them mealworms, crickets and the like, they need grit - that is why they are eating the sand. They have no teeth so the only way they can digest their food is using the grit in their gizzard to grind it up for them!

+1 That's exactly what I was going to say as well. You have to give them grit, or at least put the sand back in for them to use as grit!

I have a tractor that I put around my burn barrel. There are tons of tiny rocks around it that they like to eat. Will that serve as grit?

The tiny rocks are likely too big. One small bag (5 lbs) of chick grit should only cost a few dollars. I would recommend purchasing a bag of it. Depending upon how many chicks you have, one bag will likely be enough until the birds are old enough to give regular size grit. I switch to regular grit (size #2) at around 12 weeks old.

The tiny rocks are likely too big. One small bag (5 lbs) of chick grit should only cost a few dollars. I would recommend purchasing a bag of it. Depending upon how many chicks you have, one bag will likely be enough until the birds are old enough to give regular size grit. I switch to regular grit (size #2) at around 12 weeks old.

I mean like almost grain of sand sized rocks. They are tiny.

Back
Top Bottom