Babies Society Finches

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by duckncover, Dec 16, 2009.

1. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    I was given three 5-6 week old little finches today while I was shadowing a animal vet for school. They're just too cute and incredibly tame for finches! They all huddled together as soon as I let them out in their new cage I built for something else but never got. They haven't even cared that I'm in and out of the cage constantly arranging stuff. They even will accidentally land on my arm and half the time just stay there and peck at my sleeve. They are all sleepy and huddled inside their little sleeping nest for the night. I need 2 names for the "twins". I provided descriptions but I will have pictures in the morning.

Name: Gravy
    Description: Light Brown and White
    Personality: Always the one that sneak out of the cage while I have my hand in there

Name: Unnamed1
    Description: Dark brown and White (Identical in color to Unnamed2)
    Personality: Seems to be the leader since he was the first one to investigate the sleeping nest

Name: Unnamed2
    Description: Dark brown and White (Identical in color to Unnamed1)
    Personality: Slightly less adventurous and brave as Gravy and Unnamed1 but I'm sure he'll show

2. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    My two finches are tame too. They were either handled a lot or possibly hand fed. Mine cuddle up in their nest at night too. I read that if you continue to spend time with them that they will stay tame. But if not they will get flighty.
    I'm sure you will enjoy yours. I love mine. I feed them in the bottom of the cage and they will fly down to the food dish while my hand is still in there.

3. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    I have hand fed canaries before and they turned out to be pets. You can't pull them as young as other birds but they always did fine. They caught on real quick and I barely had to force feed at all. I got 4 babies in all out of my pair but then they died. I personally still don't know why the parents died but I never heard anything back about the 4 babies I sold to the same couple so I figured they are fine. I'd like to breed society finches if I can match a pair. Especially these 3 since they are so calm maybe they will pass it down. I'd like to fill up a tiny aviary with them if possible. The babies are still sound asleep... [​IMG] I sure wish the hens would go to sleep already!

4. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    I love society finches!! The best part about them is that they are a domestic breed and not found wild any where in the world. It always made me feel less guilty to cage such lively little spirits!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by