1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

babies spilling water all over brooder pen...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Margy1, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Margy1

Margy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2014
    we have four babies they will be 5 weeks old tomorrow, at night they stay inside in their brooder box and EVERY morning they have spilt their water and it is everywhere! The waterer is never knocked over so im not sure how they are doing it, it doesn't leak, we use the same waterer in their outdoor daytime play pen and it is fine all day. Any suggestions on how to get them to stop knocking the water everywhere???

[​IMG]
    This is the kind of waterer that we have. TIA!! [​IMG]

2. Free as a Bird

Free as a Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2014
    New England
    Are you using paper towel? Mine kicked the paper into the waterer and the entire thing whicked out. After they did this a few times I moved them to pine shavings.

3. Margy1

Jul 30, 2014
    We have been using pine shavings, They constantly are kicking their pine shavings into their water, sometimes into their food, but most problems are with their water

4. Free as a Bird

Free as a Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2014
    New England
    You could try raising the water (?)

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Upgrade your waterer to one of those one gallon sizes. And elevate it so the chick's backs are the height of the water. The little quart sizes are too light and easy to tip over. Mary

1 person likes this.
  6. Margy1

Jul 30, 2014
    What would be the best way to raise their waterer in their brooder pen? They seem to have no issue with the water when they are outside.

Mary - We will be switching to the gallon waterer once we get them in their outside coop, but their brooder wouldn't have enough room left in it if we did that now :(

7. growsaposy

growsaposy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2014
    We had a similar problem and made "stairs" up to waterer. Also put a large brick on top. It worked well till they grew enough to get the gallon type waterer.

8. 11mini

11mini Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2014
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Throw the red part away and use a regular mason jar lid with two poultry nipples installed. Hang with wire.

9. jonalisa

jonalisa Codswallop!

May 28, 2013
    NH
    My Coop
    I used the same waterer. I put down a puppy pad first (these are available at the dollar store and keep the litter from getting wet), then I put the waterer on top of a brick. If they still manage to create a mess, I suggest putting the brick kitty corner in the brooder and then put the waterer on top so they can only access one side.

10. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    Had the same issue. Switched to a nipple waterer about that age and haven't looked back.

About 30 seconds in you can see them using it: [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by