Babies were found yesterday, dealt with pasty butt

eggcited2

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 8, 2010
Illinois
After the postal service offically said they had no idea nor clue of where my chicks were, got a call about 6:00 p.m. last night that a hub post office in downtown St Louis had found them.

We rushed off to go get them. It took a while, since it is a 60-65 mile drive each way and it was during rush hour traffic for St Louis.

Finally got them home and totally shocked to see all alive. I do have one that is not doing too well, and I have a a feeling I will not have her long. But am saying prayers for otherwise.

Took care of any pasty butt this morning. Out of 8 chicks, four had it. Wasn't hard to clear. I have them brooding in my spare bathroom and just sat on a stool next to washbasin and used my wet fingers to get the pooh damp/wet and got it all gone. Used nice soft tp to dry their little bottoms. I will keep an eye on everyone for anymore of it. But it would be nice if no one got it anymore.
smile.png
For their sakes. Poor things putting up with that. And talk about an invasion of privacy! Oh my!
ep.gif

Quote:
They were shipped Tuesday and supposed to arrive Wednesday. On Wednesday, the usps said the package had been "missent" and ended up at Memphis Tennessee instead of arriving at St Louis. Memphis swore the chicks would be put on FedEx jet for St Louis right away and be here by yesterday morning -Thursday. At that point, tracking number stopped working. No one could find the chicks nor the box. By 1:30 yesterday I was told the usps considered them officially lost.

So it actually took only two days, and they claim they have up to three days for delivery. But those poor chicks were in a plane so many times, bounced all around from town to town, postal facility to postal facility, etc.

Glad that your chicks are safe at home now. I was a nervous wreck waiting for our to arrive at the local feed store when we ordered them, can't imagine someone telling me they were lost. Sending our best wishes to you and your new babies.
hugs.gif

I can imagine the worry you went through. It is always an ordeal for me when I am waiting on chicks. I'll keep my fingers crossed that they all recover from their journey.

Once bums are clean and dry, you can use a Q-tip to gently apply some olive oil around the vent area to help keep poos from sticking too badly. Makes it easier to clean and less tough on the chicky. You could try giving the struggling one some electrolytes and/or Polyvisol without iron (liquid vitamin drops for infants you can get at the pharmacy). You can use something like Gatoraid for electrolytes, but I believe the Pedialyte you can get in the infant food aisle has less sugar content and would be better for chicks.

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I actually had ordered the electrolyte powder to be shipped with the chicks and made up a gallon of it. That is the very first thing I gave them. I am continuing to use it and will most likely keep them on it for about a week. It really came in handy and seemed to make quite a difference.

I had also ordered that stuff you mix and it turns into a green gel that is supposed to help them eat and get them to eating. They would not go near it. Showed no interest in it. I then put down chick starter feed on some newspaper and they went after that like crazy.

the Green stuff commenly called grow gel works best on the first day but you mix it in with food. The bright green color will attract them, then they eat it with the food. Another thing you can do that they like is take your starter feed and pour some of the water over it and give it a good soaking. Put this out for them over the first few days, they'll really go after it.
wee.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom