babies!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ChickenChaps, Mar 2, 2011.

1. ChickenChaps

ChickenChaps Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Malabar, FL
    I set 97 coturnix eggs. So far I think about 46 are out. Hard to count them, like counting ants. LOL There may be more coming, I hear a peep from the incubator. They hatched fast! 3am there was one, 3:45 there was about 30! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  2. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Absolutely darling! I might suggest that the water dish be changed a bit. It seems that there is an awful lot of open water there. Quail chicks could get wet in between the rocks -- or get between the rocks and not know how to get out, especially if there are others crowded around.

It may just be the picture's perspective, though, making the rocks appear as big (or bigger) than the quail chicks.

3. ChickenChaps

Mar 17, 2008
    Malabar, FL
    Thanks. Ok, I will look for more (and smaller) rocks. It was dark at 3 am when they started hatching. [​IMG]
    Is it ok to use one of them chick waterers that screw on a mason jar?

editted to add, about 20 more have hatched. There are 31 eggs still in the bator. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    So cute! I love your comment about not knowing how Many are there because they are like ants [​IMG] I feel the same way.

5. peewee

peewee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    Beautiful Babies!!![​IMG]
    Yes you can use the mason jar waterers. Just put lots of pebbles around the lip.

6. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Quote:Yes. Fill the tray mostly up with marbles or pebbles, though.

They do make quail sized waterers, too. TSC is about the only place where I live that carries them, though. They are a couple of bucks. I still fill the rim with marbles with those (I may be overcautious). Regular marbles won't fit in the quail waterer, though. You have to use the flat craft marbles for those and stand them on end.

7. ChickenChaps

Mar 17, 2008
    Malabar, FL
    I am up to 74 hatched! WOW! I set 97, so thats 76% hatch rate, and maybe more to come? I used the LG, I did get quail racks for the turner, but it is still air. I plan to install a computer fan per a friend's suggestion and instructions for my next hatch. I got these eggs from a kid at a flea market who had an ad on craigslist.

I think I have 5 A&M, 3 golden? (they are yellow with black stripes), and one reddish one with less prominent stripes, not sure what that is. The rest are jumbo browns. [​IMG]

I did get a water thing that fits a mason jar and put lots of rocks in the lip so there will be no problems.

This is so exciting! [​IMG] Im so glad I have ya'll to share my excitement, and learn from!

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    reddish one with less prominent stripes

SOMETHING IN THE TIBETAN OR BRITISH RANGE SPECTRUM.​

9. ChickenChaps

Mar 17, 2008
    Malabar, FL
    Sorry to bother you guys...

How long do I leave the rocks in the water?

When do I give up on the remaining eggs? Tonight will be the beginning of day 19. All but 5 hatched within 7 hours. Them 5 were at hour 11 of when the first hatched. So there has been no activity in the bator since Wednesday around 2 pm...

Thanks!

10. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

I'd leave the pebbles in the waterer until the chicks are too big to get wet in there. Not sure about how long to wait on the unhatched eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by