BABIES!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kellim, Jul 1, 2008.

1. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    Well now I have an answer about the eggs I had to take from my broody hen! I came home today and had an egg pipping and a baby peeping!!! I am very shocked that it has only taken about 2 hours and it had almost got the shell completely in half!!! I am videotaping the entire thing, and my husband is laughing at me for it, but it is truly amazing!!! I do have a question, I have a styrofoam ice chest that i can use for it after it dries and comes out of the incubator, so how do I fix the styrofoam box up to use it for the baby? I can leave it in the incubator for a day or so right? And also, while the baby finishes hatching, do I need to remove the red plug from the incubator top for air?

2. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Congratulations!! Yes, you can leave it in for 1-2 days. I would try to leave it in until another chick hatches.

As for the styrofoam container, just put some papertowels on the bottom (I use the rubbergrip shelf liner, then puppy pee pads over that...makes for easy cleanup). Put a small container of water in and make sure you have put small pebbles or florist marbles in it to keep them from falling in and drowning. I usually put some chick starte right on the floor for them to pick at.

3. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    Will the high humidity in the incubator affect the babies drying? It still looks pretty wet and has been hatched for almost 2 hours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by