"Babies"

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jackbm65, Feb 18, 2015.

1. jackbm65

jackbm65 New Egg

Feb 17, 2014
    Hello, I have had mine for about 1 year now & when I ordered them from Meyer's Hatchery I got my Buckeye's April 27th & then the rest of my brood, 12 of them on May 1st. Keep them close to the same age. The rest of my brood are Buff's, my fluff balls, Dominique's, Easter Eggers & Silver Laces Wyandotte's, 3 of each. I choose the breeds for their calmness, friendliness and winter hardy. I live in Northeast Ohio, very cold winters. I use the bottom half of a plastic tote that hold 500 gallons of liquids, my husband got it from work for one of his projects a year ago & never used it. So I put it to good use, for heat I used Eco glow20 brooder, love it, with chicken wire across the top and a light above. My girls are doing great , I did end up with one boy. He became dinner only because I did not want any males. Also all the breeds I choose are considered dual purpose and all but the Easter Eggers are considered to be Heritage breeds. If you are wanting different breeds read up n them to see what works for you. Good Luck

2. N F C

N F C got coffee? Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC! Sounds like you have a nice mixed flock. Make yourself at home here, and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by