Baboon adopts a chicken at Lithuanian zoo

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by eggcetra_farms, Sep 14, 2007.

1. eggcetra_farms

eggcetra_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    I just stumbled across this on the Yahoo Odd News

VILNIUS (Reuters) - A lonely baboon in a private Lithuanian zoo has adopted a chicken he saved from certain death last month and the two have formed a fast friendship, the zoo's director said on Friday.

The chicken was intended as food for other animals in the zoo, but escaped and was sheltered by Mitis, a six-year-old Hamadryas Baboon, Edvardas Legeckas, who runs the zoo near the port city Klaipeda in western Lithuania, told Reuters.

Mitis has been fed chicken meat before, but this time he fell in love with his food, Legeckas said.

"He plays with the chicken, cleans its feathers, sleeps with it, and takes care as if it was his own baby child," the zoo director said.

"But I am not sure how long this affair would last, because baboon may finally realise this is food."

Baboons, with their distinctive long dog-like muzzles and heavy powerful jaws, are omnivorous, but usually prefer fruit. In the wild, they live in close-knit social groups.

"Obviously this baboon needed someone to communicate with," the director said.

2. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Ahhh how sweet....for the time being anyway. [​IMG] Interested to see how it turns out. [​IMG]

3. eggcetra_farms

Jun 26, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    Yeah, me too. Weird story, huh?

4. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    of course he could just be fattening the chicken up for later.
    [​IMG]

5. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    [​IMG] i another zoo in china ,a monkey adopted a pigion [​IMG] what the hech is wrong with monkeys? lol

6. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    how sweet!! that sounds like something that would happen at my house.. my animals always do strange things..

7. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Quote:Quote:Yeah, what would make an intelligent mammal, just one gene removed from humans, do such a "crazy" thing as make a chicken a pet????[​IMG]

8. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:Quote:Yeah, what would make an intelligent mammal, just one gene removed from humans, do such a "crazy" thing as make a chicken a pet????[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I was thinking the same thing, myself... [​IMG]

9. eggcetra_farms

Jun 26, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    That's crazy the way the chicken just lets the Baboon carry it around and groom it! Even my friendliest chicken draws the line at me messing with her feathers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by