1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby almost got killed!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Skitz, Sep 18, 2010.

1. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    thank god that didn't happen, it's obviously not in the US but hopefully that child is in protective custody

2. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    Insane. I'm so glad the baby wasn't hurt. I sure hope they do something to help the woman and her baby instead of just punishing her. So sad. [​IMG]

3. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    I'm sorry but she deserves to have that baby taken away. How hard is it to watch your child? Happening too much these days.

4. dntd

dntd Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2009
    I think the lady was homeless and the baby was sleeping under a tree. The face of homelessness is not an old person...

5. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I think I would have been LESS inclined to capture something on camera for Youtube and MORE inclined to get that kid out of harms way! The cameraman is a jerk too IMO.

People do not watch their kids close enough. When DH's company rented him a house in Memphis, me and the girls went for a few weeks. I came out of the house one morning to see a filthy little girl running down the street toward the main highway. I ran after her and caught her just before she ran out into the highway. After an hour or so of scouring the neghborhood knocking on doors to find her mom...I had to call the police. After 2 hours, they FINALLY located the grandmother she lived with. Apparently the child had gotten out sometime in the NIGHT and had been running the neighborhood for several hours. She had a muddy sagging diaper, muddy hair, and the kid reeked like she had not been bathed for days. She had horrible diaper rash. The parents were young teens and the grandmother was very obviously a druggie. I suspect she was later taken into custody of CPS, but I often think about that poor little girl. I hope wherever she is today she is safe and happy. Neglectful parents REALLY get under my skin [​IMG]

I'd have had a hard time filming that and not DOING SOMETHING about it instead.

6. dntd

dntd Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2009
    Apparently in turkey they don`t stop for babies!I would have pulled over and ran my butt off!

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:I thought the narration or caption stated that it was a store surveillance camera. I don't think people are behind those most of the time and the tape was probably asked for in order to see if anyone put the kid near the street/foul play.

8. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:I thought the narration or caption stated that it was a store surveillance camera. I don't think people are behind those most of the time and the tape was probably asked for in order to see if anyone put the kid near the street/foul play.

AH, I must have missed that part. Thought it was some nut standing around filming a child nearly getting killed.

9. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    No, but a lot of drivers weren't stopping that could have. , that's not something that is just a problem in Turkey.

The mother was a beggar and homeless, according to the news. Perhaps she was a street walker and had to leave her child. I would assume she didn't have any place to leave her child other than where she left him. Often a little one will get tied by the wrist or ankle with a sash of cloth to keep them from wandering off into danger.

Baby sitters and homeless shelters where you can leave your child for the day, I think are not an option. Many years ago when I traveled in poor countries, most poor people took their children to work, beggars, street walkers, or those who worked in shops or cleaned houses - kids always went along. Older brother and sister are working somewhere else, Grandma probably passed away some time ago.

In the traditional third world, many people lived in villages or in village like groups in cities, and that offered some protection. Everyone would keep an eye on children. If someone harmed a child, mob justice would be swift and silent.

In the modern third world, a lot of the traditional protection is gone and it is a very, very dangerous world with many hazards. So many little ones get into accidents. It's just not a very safe place to be with all the traffic and open train tracks.

I'm going to guess, since the woman was a homeless beggar, that she may have been a Gypsy, or that people might have thought she was. Some people might not help them or their kin.

If you want to see how some children in the third world live, you might consider seeing a movie called 'Born into Brothels'. It's an eye opener, but it's sad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by