Baby and Daddy rooster in the same coop?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Irukanji, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Irukanji

Irukanji Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    When we moved to this place there was a full-grown rooster, 2 hens and a baby. The baby turned out to be a rooster, and is now I'd guess 14-17 weeks old. The 2 roosters get along fine, but I'm just wondering if they will fight as he gets older? The daddy rooster appears to have an injury with his foot or leg(weird limp, maybe too much baby making :p), and if he stumbles or falls over the baby will run over to him, I guess to see if he is alright?

tl;dr - Will the baby attack the daddy rooster as he gets older?

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Yes! Sounds like he will win too.

3. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

We ended up hatching out a mutt rooster.. somewhere along the way he lost an eye.. so my husband started calling him "One Eyed Jack"
    he bred with one of our jersey giant hens and she hatched out the eggs.. one little roo and a bunch of pullets.. the little roo looked just like One Eyed Jack.. so we kept him.. my husband referred to him as "Jack Jr"

Jack jr bred with one of the girls .. she hatched out his son.. who following the family tradition looked just like dad and gramps.. so i kept him.. "Jack III"

all three lived together just fine.. One Eyed Jack was the alpha roo.. Jack jr was second in charge.. and little Jack III just minded his own business

there were never any fights between them.. although there were several between One Eyed and the other roos (who were not related).. most of the others eventually went to freezer camp because they were just too aggressive.. now I am not saying that One Eyed hated them because they were not related.. he hated them because they were aggressive idiots who did not respect the alpha roo

as time went by One Eyed got older and finally passed on .. his son Jack Jr moved up into alpha roo status.. he still will not give Jack III any problems.. but that's because his son respects his position as alpha roo

so it just depends on the roosters and if they respect the chain of command

4. MadHatcher

MadHatcher Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2010
    I have two roosters who were hatched and raised together.

They share coop responsibility and never fight.

I do worry about them one day deciding they want their own space - but they are 10 months old now and seem super content with each other.

In fact - when the girls are all busy in the nesting boxes they will run around the yard together - Just the two of them. Hunting and crowing side by side not even a foot apart the whole time - even when running.

Super funny to watch.

Good luck and keep us updated on how things turn out.

5. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Yes, but how many hens were there? Two? Odds are they will fight.

6. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    I have to full grown roos and they get along great. My hen just hatched a baby roo and he sleeps with my 2nd in command every night. I think as long as they are raised together and can get out of each others hair when needed, all is well.

7. Irukanji

Irukanji Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    Haha forgot to add, we got another 8 or 9 hens I think, unrelated to the current ones. The baby is usually head first into the compost heap with the hens, eating all the bugs and veges and what have you. The rooster normally just stays in the coop, doesn't really move much. If he does wander out he usually just hides in some bushes, in the shade. So far they seem fine. Even the new hens are starting to lay eggs, so hopefully we can get some little baby ones that will end up becoming food or sold, depending on how we feel at the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by