1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

baby and old chickens together?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mmayhew, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Mmayhew

Mmayhew Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    I have 12, 8 week old chickens and 2 adult chickens left from my last flock. I have been very careful to keep them separate. I divide the coop with chicken wire and made a separate run for the babies. As the babies have gotten older they have learned to escape their run and i have found them with the the older birds on several occasions. at first the older birds pecked at them to get out of their way but now it seems they just ignore them. I have started to free range everyone over the last week and there has been no problems. Today the big birds were even sleeping with the babies during an afternoon nap (granted on opposite sides of a shaded area). My question is if i continue to free range can i open the coop for all to run and have fun if the older birds are seeming to be tolerant? They have been around each other for 5 weeks now.

2. JanaBanana1

JanaBanana1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2011
    I put my chicks with the old hens when they were only about 6 wks old or so... they soon learned their pecking order. I just made sure I opened the coop up before daylight so they were not trapped in there with the hens. The big hens still let them know who is boss....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by