Baby Appleyard smaller than others, peeping constantly, won't really eat, vent might be distended?

turtlefrog2

Chirping
Apr 8, 2021
Hi -- I just brought home 3 1-day-old Appleyards and 3 runners. They're about 3 days old now. One baby Appleyard won't stop peeping, doesn't really eat, and is already only 2/3 the size of the others. She'll peck at greens when I let them swim a little, and looked like she was eating food we put on their swimming water (in container separate from brooder), and she grooms herself after getting out of the water. But she is clearly "different" from the other ducks -- stays separate from them when they all go to the food & water sometimes, is smaller, and just feels kind of scrawny. I tried rubbing her vent gently with a moist cotton ball but couldn't get her to poop. Right now she's resting at the very top of the pile of sleeping ducklings but she won't sleep like the rest of them & is just peeping and peeping. Any suggestions?

I should add that they are all getting chick/duckling electrolytes in their water and they are eating unmedicated chick feed. I chopped up some dandelions, clover & kale for their swim water and they seemed to love it.

Oh also the affected duckling keeps reaching under to rub/groom her lower abdomen. It really does seem like she's trying to rub or change something there.

Too late, the little Appleyard just died. 😥 I just went to check and she was lying on her side not looking good at all. I picked her up and used a wet q-tip and then a moistened cotton ball to try to remove the stuff blocking her vent but I think all I did was hurt her : (. She died a few minutes later. She wouldn't even drink earlier today.

Too late, the little Appleyard just died. 😥 I just went to check and she was lying on her side not looking good at all. I picked her up and used a wet q-tip and then a moistened cotton ball to try to remove the stuff blocking her vent but I think all I did was hurt her : (. She died a few minutes later. She wouldn't even drink earlier today.
Sorry to hear that. Sounds like it already had pasty butt when you got it.

I'm so sorry for your loss. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom