1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby Aussies hatching today?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickenlisa, Jun 30, 2011.

1. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    My 2 Aussie girls have been way broody for over 6 weeks, and sitting on eggs for at least 5 weeks. My Mandarin babies were hatched 6 weeks ago today and we were trying to grab them all when those Aussies were already sitting. Sooooo, 28 days have turned into about 42 at least and today 4 ducklings have hatched so far. 2 have wry neck and I've given Poly Vi Sol to them and put some of it into their water too. I go out of town on Saturday morning early, so will miss out on seeing them group up now. My adult sons will be here to do animal care, so I'll have them take photos and send to me, but why'd they have to wait until today??? My best guess is nest dumping- I've got 5 females in there and I was gathering eggs from a different place in the pen until a few weeks ago. Those eggs were laid by the other females, but they've stopped laying in those other places, so I"m guessing they laid in the nests that were being sat on. There are other eggs out there not hatched yet, and that had ducklings in them. Alive or dead, I don't know that.

What else can be done for the 2 little wry-necked babies in the next day to help them?
    Lisa
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  2. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    Sounds like the hens scrapped there nests and made new ones.

3. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    But they didn't- I watched everyday. There were some bad eggs tossed out- rotten or clear one. I know because i'd find them out of them nest, then I candled to see, and tossed them when I knew they were bad or clear.

4. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    you can give them brewers yeast as well as the poly vi- sol. that is what we did and it worked well. They are so cute. Congrats!

5. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    Very cute pictures!

6. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Oh my gosh are they adorable! [​IMG]

I still wish the PO didn't screw up those eggs you sent me earlier this year! [​IMG]

7. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    thanks... and ducklover1- me too!

8. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:Maybe next year! [​IMG]

9. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    [​IMG]
    Yes!
    Agh I just posted a big update and it got lost! Either my internet is having problems or BYC is...Uploading the pics had problems too.
    Here are a few more baby pics while I'm still home to take and post pics...if they could just stay little longer!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There are at least 2 others in the nestbox still- 1 of the little wry necked ones and a newly hatched one this am. I can't find the otehr wry necked baby- so its either hiding very well or it died and Mama did something with it. (??) I did give more Poly Vi Sol to the one and it seems a bit more coordinated today, able to walk around better but still twisting its head around quite a bit. I have to still get Brewer's yeast.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  10. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    now there are 5! and 1 still pipping and zipping...1 of them is the star gazing little one. But they are so cute and fluffy! I hate to leave them but vacation does call. I'll try to post if I can while I'm away.....These babies will all be so big when I get back!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by