Baby Aussies!! Updated w/ new pics- pg 2

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickenlisa, May 18, 2010.

1. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    ok, I"m getting nervous, excited, worried, all of it all at once. My 1 Mandarin and 1 Australian Spotted duck are both on eggs...about 10 each I think. This is day 26, raining, cold (52 degrees), and there are only about 2 (+/-) days left 'til I see if any hatch.

Should I put a bridge into and out of their pool now? or should I just leave a tiny shallow water pan for any babies to use...I don't want any to be able to get into the baby pool but not be able to get out.

??? Can baby Mandies and others get into a baby pool sitting up off the ground 4" (about 10" tall in all) ???

I've baby-proofed the pen so any chicken wire is only exposed higher than 2 feet..below that are either pieces of wood or window screens with the aluminum border to stop baby Mandies from climbing.

I'm going to the feed store tomorrow to get more feed and some baby duck starter...
    Any other advice is welcome! I do so want them to be raised by their mothers if and when any hatch! (There are 4 adult pairs of ducks in that pen including these mothers.)
    Lisa

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  2. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    Today is day 28!!! [​IMG]
    I'm lucky to be home today, so will keep checking on them...I hope at least a couple ducklings hatch from each clutch...
    Should I worry about their pool though? If any babies do hatch, will the Mandies be able to get into the pool if its up off of the ground on a pallet, and the sides are about 8 inches tall? If they can get in, I need to put something there so they can get back out, right?
    I bought a little bag of duck starter at TSC yesterday, but should I go get mealie worms now or wait and see if any hatch first? I'm so nervous about all of this- I want it to go right and for any hatchlings to be safe and ok. I'm assuming their mothers can do that best though.
    Please share your expertise...
    Lisa

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I havent ever kept either of those breeds..so cant really offer advice..but just wanted to say i hope you get some hatching action happening soon.

I always remove larger water containers from pens with broody mothers as I have had a few mishaps with ducklings not being able to get out of containers I didnt think they would even get into.

4. jsvand5

jsvand5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    I wouldn't worry about the water as long as they can easily get out. They swim as good as the adults right from the start. I do think you may need to make a bit of a ramp up to the water at first. I would just buy a couple bags of mulch and build up a little ramp all the way around. My first little one hopped out of the box and went straight to the water with the hen. Spent about 30 minutes in the pond with mom before coming out for a few minutes and then heading right back in.

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  5. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    I accidentally/fortunately found a piece of gutter guard that had blown off of our rain gutters last time we had a storm...so I bent it to be an "L" shape and put half in the pool and the other half out of the pool. I have more of them if needed. They have little holes in them so little feet could climb out easily...
    PS- I haven't seen or heard any hatching going on yet...

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  6. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Oh no...there should be pips by now...I have my fingers crossed for you! [​IMG]
    And I wouldnt put mandies in water right away. My silver wood duckling almost died because he laid his head in the waterer...I caught him in time, thank god. Marbles in the water now!

7. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    I"m hoping there are pips today- but she's in the wooden nest box, and I'm staying away from that...I don't want to scare her out or something. I have no idea what's going on in that box. Wish I had a webcam in there!
    Will update when I see anything going on! [​IMG]
    Lisa

8. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    oh my gosh, baby Aussies are hatching....I've seen at least 3 in there with her, but she's not moving and I'm not bothering her. I"ll get pics tomorrow when I get back home- I"m riding with a friend to Va to deliver a Ragdoll kitten to her sister today, then back to my duckies!
    [​IMG] for lots more and for all of them to be safely taken care of by their Mamas!

9. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Congrats!

10. Scott

Scott Ozark Bantams

Apr 11, 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    Looking forward to photos... good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by