Baby back chick

Saltlifexo95

Songster
Feb 8, 2022
Central Georgia
Hey y’all! 🐔
Still learning this site, so if you’re seeing this- Will you show me your coops? Built or bought, & MUST haves for new chicken owners! I have read so much stuff but I would enjoy hearing everyone’s personal experiences! TIA

Well if your going to raise babies… you will need a brooding box, here is one of mine… use pine chips but never use cedar chips, the type of heater I am using is safer than the heat lamps, it’s a heating plate. My chicks are on a chick starter, I give them a little fermented chick starter too, lots of fresh greens, a little chick grit, sometimes a little dairy (yogurt, cottage cheese, shredded cheese) and water. I add to the water as I think they need… electrolytes, vitamins, probiotics, vinesgar, oregano tea, etc. Before we built boxes I used to keep the chicks in my shower… it has a door, pretty fire proof all that tile, and pretty easy to clean, I just cover the drain, put down the chips and rigged the heating light I was using at the time… today I would use the heating plate. The box is a big clear plastic tote. Then hubby built the lid from lumber scrap and garden netting… that way they can’t jump/fly out. We have several of these.

7364AA67-18DB-4E8B-99CF-DBA32168476C.jpeg
83DEACE7-594C-4625-BCD3-B44887E3962B.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom