Baby Bantums

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Margieann, May 5, 2017.

1. Margieann

Margieann New Egg

May 5, 2017
    I have raised chickens for several years now with no major issues. This year I wanted to try Bantums. The babies are 3 weeks old and I am losing them one by one. They become week and are dying. They are eating and drinking. I have tried probiotics and electrolytes and it has slowed this down. I only have 3 left what should I do? Heat is set at 90°.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. I'd say that 90F is far too high for 3 week old chicks and they could well be dying from heat stress. I'm assuming that you are brooding them indoors? Personally I'd significantly reduce the heat and keep with the electrolytes. We all do things differently, but by day 10 I turn off the heat source in my brooder.

For further advice, I'd suggest posting your question on this forum - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/11/raising-baby-chicks

Good luck

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I know bantams require a bit more heat but I also think 90 degrees is too hot. Do they have room to get away from the heat lamp? Have you checked that they don't have pasty butt? That can kill any chick fast. Too much heat is considered one of the causes.

Are they actually eating enough - for some banties they need their chick feed ground down finer.

1 person likes this.
  5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Margieann [​IMG] Welcome!

I am sorry to hear of your troubles and losses. I have hatched bantams here but only under a broody hen and in a climate that means they have no issues being outside so I confess to not even knowing they required a bit more heat. I very much hope that turning down the heat has worked for you and you do not experience more losses.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

6. Margieann

Margieann New Egg

May 5, 2017

7. Margieann

Margieann New Egg

May 5, 2017
    Yes. Their food is ground cause they are so small. They eat well and now how probiotics and electrolytes just in case.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by