baby barred rock question!

twister

Songster
10 Years
Sep 12, 2009
Mississippi
According to what I have read, I was under the impression that BRs must have a little white spot on the top of their head as chicks.
I have been DYING to have this breed. Today, I found some from TSC who said their supplier was MtHealthy. They had a batch labeled BR but there was no white spot on their heads. MUST there be a white spot on the head????? They have black bodies and small white spot under neck..w white under carriage (butt). They look penquin-ish --- the only thing that is throwing me off is the absence of the white spot on head. They had the black wash down the front of legs. PLEASE tell me these are indeed BRs...even if they are hatchery quality, that is fine w. me....

what do the experts say?

I got 2 BR from a local feed store, one had the white spot, one didn't. They're 6 weeks old now, and they're definitely BR. I just hope they're girls!
hmm.png

No, all BR chicks have a spot, all of them, females smaller and more defined than the males. It may be very small, but it's there. If they don't, then you could have a black sexlink pullet. A BR cockerel and a black sexlink cockerel both have head spots. A black sexlink pullet has no head spot.

Back
Top Bottom