Baby barred rocks (3 days old) dying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ATChicken, Nov 14, 2014.

1. ATChicken

ATChicken Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2014
    I had 15 shipped, half were barred Rock. Got them today and one was pretty sick already. She has passed away. Now two more are looking rough. Clicking/grinding sound coming from chick. Appears to gasp for air and throw head a bit. I am terrified and trying to soothe her but nothing is working. I tried some water (with nutradrench and some sugar) with no results. Feeding with a medicine dropper could she has aspitrated ?? The first chick was doing all the same things and I never had a chance to give her the dropper. I've got 5 healthy left and the woman who got the other half says hers are fine. I don't know what to do! Why just the barred rock?

2. ATChicken

ATChicken Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2014
    Thanks anyways. Looks like respiratory infection. Not sure if it was the cold or something I did. 2 gone. RIP my little ones.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. It sounds like your chicks were suffering from shipping stress, and maybe the barred rocks were weaker than the others. With the extreme low temperatures in the last few days, that could be the reason for their deaths. Getting chicks in the spring and early fall are the milder times of the year with fewer temperature extremes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by