Baby Barred Rocks are home at last!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chicksdontmeow, Mar 28, 2016.

1. chicksdontmeow

chicksdontmeow Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2016
    Illinois
    My five babies are finally home! Four hours of work seems like forever when you just want to run to the store and bring them home!

They've all been introduced to the water and food and now it's nap time. Long and bumpy car ride home from the store has tired them out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Congratulations. I wish the red light didn't make it impossible to see anything but, their shape.

3. chicksdontmeow

chicksdontmeow Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2016
    Illinois
    I'm thinking of switching to a regular bulb tomorrow when I can run to the store. This one is way too high a wattage anyway, luckily I have one of those light dimmer switches so it's not too hot for them.

Can anyone tell me how to know if the temperature is too low for them? I have a thermometer but it was a cheap one I got for less than a dollar and I don't really trust it much. I know when they're hot that they start panting, but I can't tell if they're just being weird babies and falling asleep on each other or if they're actually trying to huddle for warmth. Some of them were trying to crawl under the others, but it seemed like just something weird they were doing?

4. ToddQ

ToddQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2016
    Ellicottville, NY
    If they are too cold they will all huddle together in the center of the light, if too hot they will be away from the light and if comfortable the will pass out all over the place in there. They will also chirp very loud and constant if they are cold.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. ToddQ

ToddQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2016
    Ellicottville, NY
    I would stick with the red light, its easier for them to sleep and its calming. The white light can aggitate causing picking at one another.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by