baby bird! 16 feet drop!

Meal worms are really not a good baby bird food. It is a fine emergency food and treat, but not nutritious enough for them to grow on. Cat food really is. So is puppy food. Dog food is ok, just lower protein. 🙂
I've raised many baby birds on cat food only until they're weaning age...then I start to introduce as much variety as I can that's appropriate for their species.
Alright, thank you! I gave some of the mealies and she seemed quite happy to eat. Im going to take away the mealworms and replace it with cat food tomorrow, i just didn’t have a dish to soak the cat food in and had the mealworms already made.

Alright, thank you! I gave some of the mealies and she seemed quite happy to eat. Im going to take away the mealworms and replace it with cat food tomorrow, i just didn’t have a dish to soak the cat food in and had the mealworms already made.
I'm sure the lucky little baby is so glad for the mealies and they definitely gave it a chance to grow up!👍❤️
Forgot to add to soak fresh food frequently to make sure there's no germs growing in it!

I'm sure the lucky little baby is so glad for the mealies and they definitely gave it a chance to grow up!👍❤️
Forgot to add to soak fresh food frequently to make sure there's no germs growing in it!
I appreciate this so so much! I’ll be sure to keep everyone updated on how she (or he) is doing.

Thank you everyone for your help! I appreciate the swiftness aswell.

I have done all i can at the moment, and it ate well. Tomorrow i will try identifying the bird (if still alive) and find a place to give the bird.
If im not near the bird much, could it fly away? Or would it die because it was to protected?
Somebody mentioned my name having to do with fostering baby birds. I fed them dog food. Either canned food or soaked dry food. That is what the wildlife rehab told me to feed them. When they were old enough to be released I put them in a cage with the door and hung it from a tree. I put food and water in the tree. Sometimes the youngsters would come back to the cage several times to rest and to feed. Some I never saw again.

Do you have a heating pad? I would make a nest with towel on top of a heat pad. Then use a syringe to feed it chick feed mash with mealworms, electrolyte water, and a bit of Nutri Drench. Keep in mind that he may not have "fell". Mom or Dad may have pushed him out because he is not healthy.
Im very confident he fell. That area is very tipsy where nests are made, and babies fall out quite frequently but end up dead.

I do, i just have to find it. Right now he is in the warmest room upstairs, with lots of blankets.
I was curious if they could have chick feed, thank you!

Im very confident he fell. That area is very tipsy where nests are made, and babies fall out quite frequently but end up dead.

I do, i just have to find it. Right now he is in the warmest room upstairs, with lots of blankets.
I was curious if they could have chick feed, thank you!
Baby altricial song birds don't naturally drink water. They normally get their water from the insects their moms feed them. That said, if you feed them with too liquidy foods, they often inhale it and die. They can eat baby bird feed from the store or chicken feed etc...just be careful to make sure it's something that has enough water in a non-liquid state. If it goes through a syringe it'll probably inhale some of that liquid. It's just not natural for them. Doves, pigeons and parrots need liquid food. Baby song birds have different needs.

Hope it's going well for you and baby!

If you feel more comfortable trying foods other then soaked cat/dogfood...the signs of inhalation are clicking sounds when they breathe or gasping. Signs of dehydration are red or red and papery skin. They typically poop when fed as well. They're poop should be very large poop sacs that you can grab with tweezers and toss aside to keep the nest clean. I want to describe the right texture so you can use that as a gauge for health too but I'm not sure how to describe it! Hrm...it should be plump but be grabble with tweezers without popping the sack.

If you feel more comfortable trying foods other then soaked cat/dogfood...the signs of inhalation are clicking sounds when they breathe or gasping. Signs of dehydration are red or red and papery skin. They typically poop when fed as well. They're poop should be very large poop sacs that you can grab with tweezers and toss aside to keep the nest clean. I want to describe the right texture so you can use that as a gauge for health too but I'm not sure how to describe it! Hrm...it should be plump but be grabble with tweezers without popping the sack.
So far, the baby has pooped 2 very good big poops, not sure how good that is, but its something. Very weird sac, its extremely genius though. Keeps the nest nice and clean, and when their younger, its protein for some parents. (Yuck)

Thanks! I’ll probably just stick with the cat food, then. It would be different if i was a little more experienced with feeding them, but i don’t really want to risk it right now.

Back
Top Bottom