Baby bird what to do...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by kasey08, May 9, 2011.

1. kasey08

kasey08 Aunt Kasey's Farm

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    So I just had to find this baby bird. My dog was watching it. I havent found any hurt spots. What do I do with it? What kind? How old? Anything you can tell me would be great. There are so many nest around our house I tried looking for the right one but they where to high to tell

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Such long legs
    [​IMG]
    Something wrong with its stomach?
    [​IMG]
    I have it in a box with wood chips does it need heat lamp?
    [​IMG]

I didnt know where to post. You can move it if needed.

2. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    It probably needs a heat lamp, give it some worms to eat and some water. cut up the worms into semi-small peices and feed them to it with tweezers. I'm afraid to say you can never put it back with it's mom, she will reject it because it smells like people. You're gonna be stuck with this birdy for a loooong time. also when it grows up it wont know how to fend for itself so you might have to keep it forever.

3. mother o' chicks72

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    also, i hate to tell you this, but it sort of looks like a baby cuckoo bird [​IMG]

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I think its a baby mocking bird. [​IMG] I looked for pics online and it looks just like your baby bird.

5. mother o' chicks72

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    sunny & the 5 egg layers :

I think its a baby mocking bird. [​IMG] I looked for pics online and it looks just like your baby bird.

oh, yeah! definitely. mockingbirds are much better than cuckoo birds.​

6. kasey08

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    sunny & the 5 egg layers :

Can you show me the pic?

My stepdad said starling but I dont know​

7. sunny & the 5 egg layers

Mar 29, 2011
  8. kasey08

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    The top one looks like him. I think he is to young to tell about the bottom pic. He doesnt have that much feathers.

9. sunny & the 5 egg layers

Mar 29, 2011
    I just looked up a baby starling and it looks a lot like that. I think its a starling because even the starlings legs are sort of long like your chick. Here's a pic...
    [​IMG]

10. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

mother o' chicks72 :

It probably needs a heat lamp, give it some worms to eat and some water. cut up the worms into semi-small peices and feed them to it with tweezers. I'm afraid to say you can never put it back with it's mom, she will reject it because it smells like people. You're gonna be stuck with this birdy for a loooong time. also when it grows up it wont know how to fend for itself so you might have to keep it forever.

THis statement is incorrect. Most birds do not have a sense of smell. THis is part of the myth that Moms tell their kids so they keep their hands out of nests. The best chance for the bird is to get it back into a nest with approximately the same size babies. Even if it is another species the parents will raise it. On the other hand perhaps you could take it to a wildlife rehabber? It definitely needs heat to remain alive. I didnt check out the link on raising a mockingbird but I do know that baby birds take significant time...they do grow fast however! Good luck! Terri O​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by