BABY BlACK AUSTRALORP, Needs your help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mdulik, Aug 6, 2011.

1. mdulik

mdulik Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    i rescued a baby black australop yesterday and could use some serious advice on how to treat and repair. It appears the the baby chick was handled very roughly and may have a broken leg as a result. is there anything I can do to help it, I actually recieved a pair of them, one roo, one baby girl. I thought about making somesort of harness to suspend her from the floor, but would this do more harm then good? please, anyone with some knowledge on how to treat, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Mark,

2. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Hi, what a sad incident. Bless you for rescuing them!! [​IMG]

One of my friend chicks hatched with a malfunction of one of her legs. My friend didnt know whether to cull or keep her. She decided to see if she would at least try and thrive, sure enough she lived and turns out to be a roo. It has been very hard for the little guy. He just wont give up though.

Does your little girl act like she wants to live? Or does she just lie around? If she just is laying around not doing anything then she may no be happy, thats when I would sadly, cull her.

If she wants to live do anything you can! I have seen someone put a toothpick wrapped up with tape or gauze tape to straighten the leg out. Not sure how her leg is broken. A picture would be great.....

Good luck! Hope I was any help! [​IMG]

3. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I'd be tempted to give fixing the leg a go. I would try the splint route. I would use vetwrap instead of tape. I would also give vitamin supplements as that could be part of the problem.

4. CinnamonQueen12

CinnamonQueen12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Go with splinting it yourself. And vetrap definately is the better way to go. Just take a few popsicle sticks, righten the leg, and secure the leg to the splint. Make sure that the leg wont be able to slip out of the splint, and make sure that the chick can't slip the splint off. I have a chick that has a deformed leg. It always walks on the back of it's foot and keeps getting sores on its foot. I wrapped the foot in vetrap, but the chick slipped its beak under the wrap and slipped it off, and then limped away. Any, moral of story: Don't make it loose enough for your chick to be able to do that, but don't make it too tight. Also, wrap the leg in vetrap before you do the splint because the popsicle sticks could cause sores on it's legs. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by