Baby black runner duck - legs becoming more immobile each day-whatado?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by fordguy, May 14, 2010.

1. fordguy

fordguy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2007
    This is really sad for me - one of my little baby runner ducks about 3.5 weeks old has legs that flop underneath him. He still has slight control over the top of the leg, but anything past that just lays at odd angles under him. He can wiggle his tail and his back seems straight - just his legs. And it is getting slightly worse the last few days.

I really wanted the little guy to pull through. I called mcmurray and told them he was failing to thrive and they really could offer no information or suggestions on what to do.

I realize I can take him to the vet, but that seems like an un-informed shot in the dark unless I can first gather information on what this could possibly be?

He has been on straw/ground lately, and was started on wood chips.

he can't get to water or food. If you put him in a pool, he can move around somewhat and dunks his head like the other ducks.

He came with several other runner ducks, some pekings and kaki campbells - all of which are thriving. I think black is a new color and mcmurray may have branched out in their suppliers and this possibly could be a poorly bred duck.

What suggestions might you guys have?

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Working out the problem first may help with suggesting treatment. How much movement is there in the hock joints, or feet?? Is he able to bend or move them at all- or do they seem fused?? Any chance you could post a photo of the little one showing its legs?

3. ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Sounds a little bit like niacin defiency, have you tried giving it some grass, dandelion leaves, or brewer's yeast?

4. fordguy

Dec 6, 2007
    the upper part of the leg at the hip seems fairly mobile for now - he has had access to grass clippings the last few days. I can't post pics at the moment - I wonder if it is the slipped tendon?

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Are you helping him eat and drink? Is he getting any supplements like vitamins? If it is an injury, keeping his strength up will help him get through it. Sometimes I have had to hold and feed or water a little one to get her over the rough spot.

6. my1stchicks

my1stchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    North FL
    Please try the Brewers yeast also. You can get it at Walmart in the vitamin section. Hope he gets better. [​IMG]

7. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Quote:That is why I asked about the amount of movemnt in the lower extremities. It was one of the posibilities I thought - but without further information want sure.
    I am currently caring for a 6 month old duck who hatched with the condition, and she is permanently disable and has never walked at all.
    I am very time poor at the moment..but just popped on to check on this post..

I will get beck to you later today with some other information about slipped tendons. However in the mean time there are a few threads on here about the condition if you do a search.

8. fordguy

Dec 6, 2007
    we are hand feeding/watering and picked up the brewer's yeast today -= we'll see how things go.

9. JJchiknshak

JJchiknshak Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    wellsburg, Wv.
    I'm sorry your poor little guy is having problems.
    First thing I thought was niacin too.

I got a black and a chocolate from M&M and they are fine. I don't think that black is that new a color. I had one last year from TSC. She was gorgeous. I unfortunately lost her to a dog though.

Good luck with him! I hope he pulls through!

10. cherylnoble

cherylnoble New Egg

May 26, 2013
    Mereck's disease possible? Horrid experience with a new chicken a while back. It was supposed to have been vaccinated. Thank God I still had her in my shower staying warm till she matured or I might have contaminated the others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by