1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby bonded too much and wants out!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by alessadry, Apr 4, 2011.

1. alessadry

alessadry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    One of my baby chicks has had issues since she was three days old, scratching her head and neck almost non stop causing injuries and therefore being pecked on by her pals.. so she has been isolated and has bonded to us a lot.. she will chirp when she sees us and will fly on our shoulders to cuddle when let out.. now when I put her back in her brooder she cries non stop and tries to fly out bumping her head one the wired lid..can she get hurt from doing this too often?

2. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Chicks don't like to be kept alone. How old is she now? Can you find her a playmate? Maybe a stuffed animal will cut it if a live chick isn't an option. [​IMG]

3. alessadry

Mar 3, 2011
    She's five weeks old.. she already lives with a stuffed animal.. I would let her stay with another chick but I am worried about pecking.. plus she gets itchy fits at times that make her flap all around the brooder bothering the other chicks..

4. minor_danger

minor_danger Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2011
    I would suggest blue koting the red areas and allowing it back in with supervision. Chickens do chicken behavior, (scratching, flapping, pecking, peeping)..they will annoy each other, it's like having multiple siblings living with you constantly. But it is better for them to be together. I had to separate out my polish because she was pecked and she cried and cried even though she had one friend with her. I added two more timid girls that I knew wouldn't peck her. She STILL cried on occasion. They prefer being together. They might as well get used to her quirks now, eventually they will all be living together in their coop.

5. alessadry

Mar 3, 2011
    I kept her with her peers all day long today, they were too busy pecking outside to think about pecking her. I left the others in the coop for the night since it will be warm these days, but I had to bring her in for the night as I was worrying that staying in the coop would make it more likely for them to peck at her. Oddly, today she was staying apart from her friends and chirping almost as if she was looking for me or maybe she was afraid of being pecked on. When I had to catch her though she was reluctant to come with me. I will purchase the blue kote tomorrow but I am worried that with all the scratching she does she will remove it and start bleeding and she will pecked on again..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by