Baby book chick thread ~ Updated with lots of pictures

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 2mnypets, May 30, 2007.

1. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Well, the time has finally arrived. Tomorrow or Friday my new 25 lil babies will arrive without incident I hope. [​IMG] Since my digital camera decided to mis-behave the first, second and third time around, I'm hoping beyond hope that the fourth time is a charm. It saw the camera doctor and got a clean bill of health and some nice new batteries that it says it likes very much.

I had wanted to do a "baby book" sort of thread since the get go, but it never turned out as planned. I feel like the "educated by life experience" adult now having her second chance at parenthood. Wiser with a lot more knowledge. So as I set up the brooder box AGAIN, I shall do it with a self assured attitude based with the information that I have learned here at BYC.

I am really hoping that they come in the morning since I am off tomorrow. Otherwise, I will only get to visit with them for about 30 min. before I have to go to work on Friday. My kids will be home though since today is their last day of school for summer break. They know how to care and tend to the lil babies. That at least calms many fears. Since the introduction of the babies is in this first one, I am hoping that tomorrow I will be placing my first photo's of the new family members. We are expecting in groups of fives the following breeds: Silver Spitzhauben's, Assorted feathered legged, Assorted Cochin's, Salmon Fav's and Crested Black Polish. Keeping those fingers crossed for the straight run on the Polish. [​IMG] Well, until tomorrow or Friday I hope everyone has a great day and hug all your babies!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  2. 2mnypets

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Well everyone after a couple of sleepless nights and a zillion phone calls to the post office, my babies finally made it. However, on a sad note, one of my babies didn't make it but about an hour after we got home. I had a feeling that she wasn't going to. I had told my kids that it didn't look hopeful, but my son just said "Mom, you need to quit thinking so negative and hope for the best". I told him I wasn't being negative, just thinking realistic. My daughter had named her "Natalie". So Natalie, may you rest in peace sweet lil thing.

Here's a couple of pictures that I managed to get of her before I had to go to work yesterday. She rarely had her eyes open at all and could hardly stand. She is in my son's hands in the second picture.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But on a more positive note, the other 24 are just rip roaring hilarious. They have races from one side of the brooder to the other. They play leap frog and love to "wade or dip" in the water. Cracks me up every time. Of course we are watching them to prevent any drownings. The funny thing is we were supposed to get an assorted cochin group and the WCBP and instead we got Ameraucana and a Crested Special. That's ok though. We're happy with all of them. We also got Salmon Faverolles, Lt. Brahma's, Black Langshans and the Silver Spangled Spitzhaubens. I think on the Crested we have a Buff, a Mottled Houdan, Standard Sultan, White Crested Blue (splash) and Black Crested White. Way to early to tell though....just a guess. Anywho, here are some of the pics that I took. It was soooo hard to choose which ones to place in the first photo's for everyone to see. Hope you enjoy them!
    This is my Buff Crested along with a Spitzhauben
    [​IMG]
    This is one of my Salmon Fav's taking a quick nap...soooo cute
    [​IMG]
    The group taking a breather in the feeder of all places...jeeesh!
    [​IMG]
    One of my Ameraucana's
    [​IMG]
    Without really looking at it up close, I can't tell if this is one of my crested or one of the Spitz's.
    [​IMG]
    Aren't I just soooo cute?
    [​IMG]
    Me and my buddy getting all ready, getting all ready for fun...
    [​IMG]
    Here is Henry our "marked" male Spitzhauben (my daughter & her names...lol)
    [​IMG]
    The biggest of our babies....an Ameraucana pullet named "Cleo"
    [​IMG]
    Another small group shot
    [​IMG]
    Not sure if this pic is of the Lt. Brahma's or the Langshan's or one of each...either way they are adorable.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  3. joanm

joanm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2007
    How sweet!!! So sorry about Natalie...[​IMG]

4. missusduray

missusduray Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    Northern Minnesota
    Sooooo Cute. I just love baby chicks! Congrats, you seem to have a wonderful bunch.
    Kristyne

5. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

[​IMG]
    Love the little wing stretch in the first picture! Congrats. They are such cuties!

6. Saltiena

Saltiena Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Peach Bottom
    oh now this is just torture, sorry about natalie, but the others are so-so-ssoooo adorible, i can't wait to get mine,9 more days mcmurray says between sunday and tuesday so i'm hoping for monday (but secretly i'm hoping for sunday [​IMG])i already have every thing set up and ready [​IMG] i wish you and your babiees the best of luck and i hopeno more face the fate of natalie. [​IMG]

7. 2mnypets

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Thank you all for the well wishes and the thoughts regarding Natalie. Saltiena I've waited for over a month for these babies so I know how you feel. I had to coordinate every other breed of chick for a hatch date to match the Spitzhaubens. My husband wanted them soooooo very bad. They are all a bunch of hams. I think I've changed the paper towels now around 4-5 times since yesterday morning. When you have that many though it stays clean long enough for you to put them back in [​IMG] I love them though. I waited a LONG month for them. It was eternity you know. I was actually dreaming about them and I woke my hubby up the other night cause he was talking in his sleep about how the coop should be expanded and the new measurements. Oh my, I think we have it BAD! Not to mention my girlfriend brought over 4 cockatiels and a dove yesterday. She had a kidney transplant and just can't take care of them anymore, so of course I took them because I know that they will have a good home here. I really need to learn to say NO. Like that's going to ever happen. Anyway, thanks again and I hope these last few days for you Saltiena aren't pure torture.

8. Emchick

Emchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2007
    Colorado
    2 of mine died![​IMG]

1 wyndotte and 1 meile fluer:(

9. 2mnypets

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Ok everyone. Wednesday my babies were a week old and today marks the one week mark that I received them. I figured some new pictures were needed. My how they have grown. Already they have lots of wing feathers and little itty bitty tail feathers. I have to sigh because they are just growing before my eyes. Hope you enjoy the new pics.

My Salmon Fav's
    [​IMG]

My buff crested named Buttercup
    [​IMG]

One of the Spitzhauben pullets
    [​IMG]

Brownie ~ one Ameraucana that is so sweet
    [​IMG]

Our little Black Langshan
    [​IMG]

The gang
    [​IMG]

Last but not least our Lt. Brahma
    [​IMG]

10. 2mnypets

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Well I guess it's time for some new pictures. That will teach me to start a thread like this only to be in and out of the hospital for over a week and then another month to recover. They have grown like crazy and have quite the personalities. Buttercup got renamed to Rootbeer and is the sweetest of all the chickens. She will help me herd them when attempting to put them back into the brooder. She just absolutly loves people. So here's some new pics of my growing babies.

This is Rootbeer one of our Crested Polish
    [​IMG]

Lemondrop (who is either a crested or a houdan), one of my Brahma's and Spitzhauben pullets.
    [​IMG]

Another shot of a Brahma and Butterscotch (crested cockrel), a Spitzhauben pullet and an end shot of Rootbeer.
    [​IMG]

Group shot of them coming out of the brooder for the weekly cleaning.
    [​IMG]

Henry our Spitzhauben cockrel
    [​IMG]

A Spitzhauben pullet
    [​IMG]

Cleo is one of our Ameracauna's and was the biggest of all the chicks.
    [​IMG]

Last but not least, this is one of our Salmon Fav's by the name of Cherryblossum
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by