Baby born with yolk unabsorbed-then trauma-eating & drinking!?

Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Songster
9 Years
Feb 22, 2010
Plant City, FL.
It's been a BAD day here...this poor babies been through the ringer...stepped on by another chicken (which started everything..) as it was hatching which torn the membrane, then hatched early with just a little bit of unabsorbed yolk--went to check on it a little later (really thought it was going to be dead when i went back
sad.png
) but it was cheeping and yolk was almost absorbed!?

THEN the bad.....DEFinetely learned my lesson and should have taken the baby to ICU b/c momma pecked at its butt
sad.png
and that's where the "trauma" comes in...it fell back out and even worse and now it a gob of ? at its whereever the yolk goes.

hub and i talked about culling (never had to before
hmm.png
), still might--but its eating and drinking and cheeping and poo'd...acts like it is full of life...i just feel so bad of the inevitable!!!? The unabsorbed just hasn't gone n and its just stringing along
hmm.png
How LONG can this go on...I really thought it would pass in its sleep...or hoped...as peacefully as possible...poor sweet baby...I just dont get it. Thought it would just not be strong enough or loose its strength fast??? WHAT DO I DO!!!!
sad.png

Sometimes chicks are born without having absorbed all of the yolk. If the baby is eating, drinking, and acting normal, just give it some time. Maybe someone will have better advice for you. Hope your baby turns out ok.

I just dont know where that stuff's going to "go"
hmm.png
It can't even walk good--it can, but looses balance you know...pretty determined little one though, im so amazed its made it this far---and its chirping and chirping--it'll quiet a little, especially if i go in there so i cant figure out if its a "im in pain" chirp or "im really lonely" (we have a stuffed animal in the box with it but it wants my hand.
sad.png

I just don't know what else to do, but i sure hope i can sleep tonight...i even hear "fake" chirping. gaH!

Back
Top Bottom