baby bramha's with lumpy breast

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by April's Chicken Ranch, May 11, 2011.

1. April's Chicken Ranch

April's Chicken Ranch Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    Willow River BC
    Hi I just got my new little babies aweek ago & last night I noticed 2-3 of them have what I would call an enlarged breast area. Only on 1 side, it doesn't seem to be hurting them & they are happy as all heck. Am I just stupid & it's normal or??? I've never raised this breed before. Help pl [​IMG]

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Welcome to BYC.

What your are describing is the "crop", where they store food until it's ground by the grit, before it moves on to the stomach. It will usually fill up alarmingly, then be empty and flat by morning.

Now you know why I call them feathered pigs! [​IMG]

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Which side of the chest is it on? I think you are probably seeing their crop full of food. Check them first thing in the morning, if the "lump" is gone then you know it is their crop. [​IMG]

4. April's Chicken Ranch

May 11, 2011
    Willow River BC
    Thank thank thank you!!! that is what it must be! LOL... I already love this page! Is that dangerous to have a crop so full?[​IMG]

5. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    No they will not eat enough to burst it. It will expand. [​IMG]

6. April's Chicken Ranch

May 11, 2011
    Willow River BC
    Thank you! I feel much better, See you all again soon, what a great page![​IMG]

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    April's Chicken Ranch :

Thank thank thank you!!! that is what it must be! LOL... I already love this page! Is that dangerous to have a crop so full?[​IMG]

Chickens have that curious ability to eat and eat, yet never eat too much. If we could just find a way to bottle that ability............... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by