baby buff pekin hurt its eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jamiesc, Mar 1, 2015.

1. jamiesc

jamiesc Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2014
    I have a baby buff peckin and she either scratch her head or got pecked at by the other chicks to the stage where shes lost her feathers on the side of her face and has one eye half closed how can I help her? I dont think its lice/mites cause I sterilize their cage everytime I clean there brooder

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Make sure your chicks have plenty of room so they won't peck each other. A red brooder lamp with help decrease pecking, but it needs to be raised high enough to get the proper temperature. Clean the eye with saline, and apply some plain antibiotic ointment such as Terramycin or Neosporin. Vetericyn eye gel will also work.

3. jamiesc

jamiesc Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2014
    Yeah I have the red heat light and have it constant recommended temperature I was watching them for over an hour just to see if I had a chick that was being a bully but didnt seen none of that behaviour between any of them ill get saline and oitment on the way home today and see how I go

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by