Baby bunnies always die

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by into_my_web, Dec 6, 2009.

1. into_my_web

into_my_web Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Newfoundland
    This the second time our bunny has had babies, last time we lost all nine babies, this time she had five and two have already died and they were only born today. I don't think the cold is killing them because our shed is heated, they are on a towel and their momma made a nest out of her fur. The babies also have plump bellies so they are being fed.
    Does anyone have information that could help us?

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I dont know..The bun experts will chime in soon, i hope. [​IMG]

3. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Are they just dying or is she killing them? It is not unusual for a doe to kill her babies if there is a stress situation or if she can't take care of them. It is a nature defense mechanism. I had a couple of does that would kill every litter they had. Finally had to get rid of them because it was pointless to keep trying to breed them.

4. into_my_web

into_my_web Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Newfoundland
    Quote:I don't think so, we took them out and she came over and licked them both. But it's hard to tell, there aren't really any signs.

5. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    You should post this on BackYardHerds.com Their are lots of rabbit experts there.

6. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Are you the same one that moved the mother and babies from their original nesting site?? I can't remember and get mixed up between rabbit people.

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Does she have a nesting box? A deep place to burrow and 'nest' with the babies?

If you have only provided a towel and she had pulled fur that is not enough.

She needs a deep box with straw she can burrow in to when she has the buns and her babies need to be deep in there covered and warm.

Regardless of a towel and warm shed they are probably dying of exposure or she could be killing them due to stress of not having a real place to burrow.

8. chinbunny

chinbunny In a hutch

Aug 24, 2009
    I think I remember your last post when this happened (if you did post). I think someone did suggest using a nesting box. Did you get one for her? If you didn't then thats why the babies are dying. If you did, then give her another chance if she loses these. Sometimes it takes them three tries to get it right.

9. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    Yes, they need a nest box, they need the warmth of each other to provide body heat to survive. they will not survive scattered around on a towel.

10. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    I'm so sorry this is happening.
    I also recommend the nest box, and for extra warmth I'd use a piece of polar fleece under the straw. What a bummer. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by