1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

baby bunnies need your help!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Silkie Sue, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    just found three newborn lionheads by new mom and are cold...
    was on a site last nite and someone said if you put them in a ziploc bag in warm water sometimes they come back

any one heard of this
    how long does it take???
    i am doing it right now

2. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    That's one way - as long as the water's warm enough. Could also try a heating pad on low, covered w/a towel, and a heat lamp overhead. You wouldn't want to leave them unsupervised though. Can you bring mom in too?
    ETA you'll know whatever you try is working when the bunnies start moving around.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  3. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Heating pad and a thick towel. If you get them warm and pink, take them to the momma right before dark and she will nurse them. Then bring them in the house for the night. Take them out to her again in the morning and again bring them back in. Twice a day if enough. I assume their outdoor rabbits.[​IMG]
    She won't sit on them and warm them like puppies or kittens.
    Let us know how it goes.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  4. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    Are they okay? I'm so sorry.

5. Lifesong Farm

Lifesong Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    Noble County
    We have had to warm up a couple litters. I would sit in front of a heater and rub and warm them up. I would also put one or two in my cleavage for warmth. The take them out twice a day while you do chores. At about 2 weeks when their eyes open and they have fur I leave them out.

6. Silkie Sue

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    i'msorry to say that none of the three made it...
    i think it was too long...
    on the bright side, " Snickers" is the proud momma of two on her first litter..
    they are in a cage with all the goodies sittin beside me in the livingroom which is where they will live till they are old enough to go back to the barn..
    this way i will be able to play with them everyday and make them into great pets [​IMG]
    will post pics in a couple days
    thankyou for your replies

7. Piet

Piet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Calgary, AB Canada
    That's really too bad. If that happens again you could also rinse those cold live less ones under the tap with very warm water. While rinsing you will notice with your hands if it is too hot, just try too keep its nose out of the stream of course. This is the fastest way to warm them back up, then dry it in a towel, stimulating it at the same time, sorta rubbing its belly etc. I have brought some very important kits back to life this way, just need to be lucky enough to find them when its not too late yet.

Piet

8. Silkie Sue

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    these little guys are actually a day early but last night i was on a website about rabbits and someone posted ways to revive babies that seem to be dead but all the posts had different ways that people warmed them up and they lived... i thought it was pretty awesome and then today when i had 3 in that situation i gave it a try... i had their bodies warmed up and rubbed them and looked for any signs of life but after about an hour i felt there was no hope because they should have started doing something.... rest in peace little furr faces [​IMG]

9. Piet

Piet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Calgary, AB Canada
    You did all you could, so likely they were already dead. Yes it is sad, but next time you might be there in time and it will work, than it will feel like a victory.

10. Silkie Sue

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    on a better note ...
    i've just had my hands in the cookie jar...
    the two that survived 1 is going to be chocolate like her mother and the other will be white with either chocolate or grey spots..... [​IMG]
    i can't tell yet if they will be double or single mane.
    keep ya posted

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by