Baby bunnies on the way!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Lifesong Farm, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Lifesong Farm

Lifesong Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    Noble County
    We were out doing night chores and I notice one of the American does running around with nesting material in her mouth and pulling fur. [​IMG]

I am getting ready to go back out and see if they are here yet. Once she has had them and fed them I am stealing the nest box and bringing it into the house since it is supposed to hit around 8 degrees tonight.

I sure hope the 4 litters due this week make it.

No babies yet. She's still messing with the nest.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  2. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    That sounds great! I am going to breed 2 of my does this week.

3. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Lifesong Farm

Nov 14, 2010
    Noble County
    Going back out one last time before bed. Hopefully something has happened. I have to be up at 5 am and temps just dropped from 20 to 16.

5. Lifesong Farm

Nov 14, 2010
    Noble County
    No babies yet but we do have more fur in the box hopefully they are ok in the morning.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  6. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    good luck! [​IMG] i had 5 does pregnant. 1 mom had 4 they r all fine, second lost her 5, 3rd had 6 and lost all but 2 i put under foster mom. i still have 2 does preg. hope the rest make it is like 12 degrees out there and i have 2 heaters going in the mini barn. these were all first time moms some did not make good enough nests and keep babies together so lost them to the cold. keep us posted and can't wait to see pics of ur little ones too!!

here is my babies all r rexes the 2 holland does haven't had theirs yet.

ones born sunday doing great
    [​IMG]

this is the ones born today the 2 brokens r the fostered ones that made it. we saved the other 3 once but after i put them back in with mom still lost them glad i seperated some or i'd of lost these 2 also.
    [​IMG]

7. Lifesong Farm

Nov 14, 2010
    Noble County
    Well she is still running around pulling some fur and messing with the nesting material already in the box. She is a first time mom also. We don't have electricity out to the new barn yet so no heaters. That is what has me worried. I have 2 first timers pregnant and 3 pros pregnant. I already plan to put the babies with one of the other mommas if the first timers don't do well. I may move babies anyway if they are small litters. That way I don't have to carry 5 nest boxes out twice a day because I plan to keep the babies in the house till they get fur and the eyes start to open.

8. Lifesong Farm

Nov 14, 2010
    Noble County
    Almost forgot to update everyone. The first doe that started pulling had 12 babies!!! The second had 2 on the wire and they froze. Both of them are first time moms.

9. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Congrats on the successes! Too bad about the kits on the wire.

Depending on the does, if these were mine, I might divide the 12 babies between the two does. 6 is said to be the optimum size for a litter - fewer than that, and the babies may grow too fast and be too "soft;" many more, and the babies grow much slower and you will probably lose a few (rabbit does are only "plumbed" for 10). Particularly since these are both first-time mothers. For some reason, does often don't produce as much milk with the first attempt as they do with subsequent litters. Wishing you the best of luck, and waiting for pictures!

10. BunnyMomma

BunnyMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2010
    Olin, North Carolina
    Congratulations! [​IMG] They are so pretty. I have 2 does, one American Fuzzy Lop, one Jersey Wooly due around the 1st few days of Jan.
    These are my first litters, but both does are proven so everything shoud be OK. Post pics of them around weaning time for us! I rehabilitate eastern cottontails when I get the chance. I am bunny crazy!
    Good luck with all of your babies.
    Bunny [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by