Baby Bunny Killed by My Dog

Disheygirl

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Indianapolis, IN
We have five mini Rex - two parents, two bonded brothers, and a single brother who is just too alpha for the other pairs - typical of a male, but I hate that doesn’t have a mate. The boys are all neutered, and I picked up a three month old female for my single male a few weeks ago. She hadn’t been handled much, but she was a sweet bunny nonetheless, and was learning that people are good. I gave her lettuce for the first time and loved to watch her eat it - she grew up on wire, and her first time hopping freely in our sunroom was so much fun to watch.

Yesterday afternoon, I noticed that there was a fresh patch of dandelions in the front yard. Normally, when I let the buns outside, they are in secure Omlet runs. This time, since the dandelions were in the front and the runs in the back, I put she and the single male in dog pens (I had some in the garage - just the metal four foot transportable ones), which I covered up almost all the way so a random hawk wouldn’t find their dinner.

I was feeding the rest of the bunnies, who were maybe 30 yards away, when I looked up and saw one of the dogs running around the pens. I started jogging over towards the pens, yelling at him to cut it out, when all of a sudden, in her panic of him chasing them around the pen, jumped out. He grabbed her - she started screaming - I was at a full out sprint and yelling at him. It was like it happened in slow motion. He ran away from me about 60 yards, and I caught up to him yelled at him to drop her, and she was screaming the whole time. I picked her up - her eyes were half open like she was sleepy and her body was limp. I hoped against hope that she was just in shock, but after I laid her down in her cage, she died a few minutes later.

I have never felt more horrible or disgusted with myself. She was my responsibility and just a baby - I made a stupid decision to put her in a cage that wasn’t secure, and then I made a stupid decision to not have my eyes on the dogs. I can’t get the visual of him picking her up and the sound of her screaming out of my head. She was so scared. And as irrational as it is, I am mad at my dog for not stopping when I yelled at him before he scared her enough for her to jump out, and mad that once he had her, he ran away from me.

We have five mini Rex - two parents, two bonded brothers, and a single brother who is just too alpha for the other pairs - typical of a male, but I hate that doesn’t have a mate. The boys are all neutered, and I picked up a three month old female for my single male a few weeks ago. She hadn’t been handled much, but she was a sweet bunny nonetheless, and was learning that people are good. I gave her lettuce for the first time and loved to watch her eat it - she grew up on wire, and her first time hopping freely in our sunroom was so much fun to watch.

Yesterday afternoon, I noticed that there was a fresh patch of dandelions in the front yard. Normally, when I let the buns outside, they are in secure Omlet runs. This time, since the dandelions were in the front and the runs in the back, I put she and the single male in dog pens (I had some in the garage - just the metal four foot transportable ones), which I covered up almost all the way so a random hawk wouldn’t find their dinner.

I was feeding the rest of the bunnies, who were maybe 30 yards away, when I looked up and saw one of the dogs running around the pens. I started jogging over towards the pens, yelling at him to cut it out, when all of a sudden, in her panic of him chasing them around the pen, jumped out. He grabbed her - she started screaming - I was at a full out sprint and yelling at him. It was like it happened in slow motion. He ran away from me about 60 yards, and I caught up to him yelled at him to drop her, and she was screaming the whole time. I picked her up - her eyes were half open like she was sleepy and her body was limp. I hoped against hope that she was just in shock, but after I laid her down in her cage, she died a few minutes later.

I have never felt more horrible or disgusted with myself. She was my responsibility and just a baby - I made a stupid decision to put her in a cage that wasn’t secure, and then I made a stupid decision to not have my eyes on the dogs. I can’t get the visual of him picking her up and the sound of her screaming out of my head. She was so scared. And as irrational as it is, I am mad at my dog for not stopping when I yelled at him before he scared her enough for her to jump out, and mad that once he had her, he ran away from me.
Dont blame yourself. We all make mistakes, for example last night I lost 9 chicks to a fox which is somewhat upsetting and frustrating. We can learn from our mistakes..
To be fair on the dog, it's their instinctive behaviour to run and catch small rodents. I do feel really sorry for you though! At least It wasn't your only bunny!

Sorry about your bunny. The thing about mistakes is we learn from them and your dog is not at fault, sounds like he could use more training, so that might be something you could work on. We all make mistakes

Oh my goodness, I’m so so sorry for your loss 💔 I cannot imagine the amount of sheer heartbreak, pain, and horror you felt during that. Just reading that made me so horrified and saddened. Don’t beat yourself up too much, we all make mistakes. And I know how you feel of wanting to blame the dog and be mad at him, you just have so much anger and emotions welling up inside that it’s hard to control not being angry with the dog. It’s hard to realize at times though that the dog was not at fault and was carrying out his instincts. And I know how incredibly difficult it can be to realize that. With that tragic event, it’s definitely easy to be very angry with the dog.

My dog used to be terrible with our rabbits. He’s a terrier so he has prey drive. One time we were letting one of our rabbits, Princess, run around the yard and accidentally let our dog out. He chased her and I was afraid he would catch up to her and kill her or give her a heart attack. I know what you mean of it all happening in slow motion, that’s exactly what it felt like. Eventually after months of training and patience, he is best friends with our rabbits now and wouldn’t even think about eating or chasing them. Now, our bunnies actually rule over him! 😂 We also recently got chickens and he has been so close to killing them and I NEVER thought he would be good with them just running around the yard with him. He’s gotten a taste of bird a few times (wild birds) and he wanted our chickens! Well, after a year of patience and telling him what’s ok and what’s not ok, he is now running in the yard with our chickens and doesn’t view them as a meal. It’s absolutely amazing!

If you want to train your dog, it takes a lot of patience and repetition as well as a lot of supervising! I’m really sorry about the loss of your rabbit. I know the pain of it and how devastating it is. It’s like losing a family member. I really hope the best for you and your fur family! :thumbsup

I had that happen to me I'm so sorry that sucks. J have a great dane and had a lion head holland lop mix. Bout eight weeks of age Cutest boy I had been cleaning his cage and I put him back in the cage Because a neighbor was at the door I left the basement door open and my dog got into my bed room although the door was closed.I heard a thud and a scream and ran down stairs She had knocked over the cage and pulled him out I found him laying on the floor I also thought he was just in shock but within a couple minutes he crawled into my chest and died I blamed myself and my dog for a long time but it's not either fault even though I wish I could had preventes his death but she is a dog it's there instinct again so sorry about your bunny

Had the same thing happen to us last week, one of my Rex’s got out of his pen while my wife had gone inside to fill up their water and our Yorkie somehow got into the area where the rabbits were

Had the same thing happen to us last week, one of my Rex’s got out of his pen while my wife had gone inside to fill up their water and our Yorkie somehow got into the area where the rabbits were
Yorkies are cute little dogs but a lot of people forget that they were originally bred as ratters.

Back
Top Bottom