Baby Button Behaviors

Discussion in 'Quail' started by taprock, Oct 29, 2011.

1. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

I am new to quail so I'm not sure what normal behavior is. Besides that I ended up with a lone quail so I'm not sure if that might be affecting his behaviors. Here are the things I'm wondering about.

He paces the edges of the tank a lot. He has one corner that he goes back and forth peeping at all the time.
    He has a whistle/peep he makes and then a two note call. Usually stands up straight when doing that call.
    He likes to eat food off the end of my finger, but has started to use his dish.
    He loves to hide under things.
    Sometimes when I reach in he lays on his belly and folds his wings back - almost makes me think of a hen squatting.

He does love his stuffed dog and feather boa. He slithers in the feathers on his belly and sprawls out to sleep in them. He also doesn't seem to mind being held.

Thanks for any quail insights!

2. Blob Chicken

Blob Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    Ya ,buttons are pretty antsy birds ,I find. I would give him something to hide under.
    Thats a contact call. He wants friends
    No answer on that one...I dunno ,females feed chicks bits of goodies from their beaks ,that could be it...
    Ya ,button chicks love to hide ,in general.
    no clue on the last one.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Pacing is a 'normal' thing for buttons.
    He has a whistle/peep he makes and then a two note call. Usually stands up straight when doing that call.

The whistle peep is a baby button call, the 2-note call is him looking for buddies.
    He likes to eat food off the end of my finger, but has started to use his dish.

Eating food of your finger would be similar to eating food from mama's beak.
    He loves to hide under things.

If you were as big as a bug, I think you'd probably hide too [​IMG]
    Sometimes when I reach in he lays on his belly and folds his wings back - almost makes me think of a hen squatting.

No clue

He does love his stuffed dog and feather boa. He slithers in the feathers on his belly and sprawls out to sleep in them. He also doesn't seem to mind being held.
    Thanks for any quail insights!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by