Baby Button Lethargic

Discussion in 'Quail' started by UrbanMama, Jan 4, 2009.

1. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Is there anything I can do? Or is this one of those survival of the fittest kind of things? [​IMG] It's just laying there....

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I'm not sure, maybe you can give it some vitamins, but I'm not sure how much. Hope Mrs AK or monarc get online soon! [​IMG] that your baby gets better!

3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    im not much help...is it a newbie button? If so, i'd probably just let it pass (or cull it myself if i knew it wasnt going to make it). Now if it's a few days old, i'd try to give it some liquids (mixed with some sugar) to give it aboost....i'd dip it's beak in it and then lift the beak up in the air so it will hopefully swallow it. If it cant even swallow it's probably not going to make it. [​IMG]

*hugs*

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    So far it's been hit or miss for me. I lost 1 out of 3 that were like that. 1 of the survivors was the runt which died recently and the other is a small chick in my current hatch who seems to be catching back up on his own.

I'd try giving it some water and if that doesn't work try some water with sugar or syrup. The sugar can give them a temporary energy boost so they start eating and drinking on their own. If your having trouble dipping it's beak in the water you can take a small syringe, squeeze a drop to the end, and then dip it's beak in the drop. Easier to see and they don't squirm as much as when you have to tip them downward to dip in a waterer. Do that a couple times a day for the next day or 2 and it will either start to recover or you'll know it's not going to make.

5. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thank you so much for all of the suggestions....but the baby is gone. [​IMG][​IMG]

6. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:awh [​IMG] sounds like it was just not a thriver unless something happened to it which if it's a bee bee im sure it was just "nature".

[​IMG]

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    sorry about the baby!..[​IMG]...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by