baby button quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by skyape38, Jun 16, 2010.

1. skyape38

skyape38 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore
    My hens eggs she was sitting on just hatched all 8 of them. My question can the babies stay with the parents or do I have to put them in a brooder. I have a brooder ready if I need to move them. Both parents seem to be taking care of the young. I placed water and crushed food in the cage for the babies and they have a next box to hide in if they want to.
    thanks
    Kathy

2. Animallover606

Animallover606 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    I don't really have any advice but i do have a suggestion could we please see some pictures? Also isn't it rare that they go broody? If it is cool lucky! I am thinking of getting some though I am thinking Blue Faced because i like the color. What colors did you hatch out?

3. skyape38

Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore
    The roo was a blue face Im not sure what colors the babies are will take some pics in a few and post them. I was told that its rare for a hen to go broody, I ordered eggs 2 times off ebay and both times only 1 or 2 hatched, Ive had better luck with the hen hatching her own eggs lol.
    Kathy

4. skyape38

Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore
    [​IMG]

father
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Congrats I know it is rare for them to brood full term ... I would just watch and see how the male does if he is good with them I would leave them with mom

6. skyape38

Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore
    I had to take the roo out of the cage he was standing on the babies and trying to mate with the hen so I removed him to another cage until the chicks are bigger

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Often the males will injure the chicks, though they do sometimes help care for them. Good that you moved him before something major happened. The super dark babies (almost black with no stripes) are bluefaces, it looks like there are some with stripes, those are probably the regular wild types. Your hen is a redbreast, but buttons are so mixed up genetically that it's hard to say what colors are hidden under the one that's expressed. [​IMG] Congrats on your new babies [​IMG]

Buttons are the most likely to brood their own eggs out of all domestic quail [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  8. Lesalynn

Lesalynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Darnell, Louisiana
    Beautiful, beautiful babies, and the Dad is gorgeous!!! I just have the plain ole Coturnix type, but seeing that rooster of yours, now I gotta get some of them. [​IMG]

9. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    [​IMG] I love button quail, Congrats on the babes. I just saw teeny tiny button quail babies yesterday. I couldn't believe how small they were. So cute, love the Father's color. Might have to order some now from my chick guy. LOL.

10. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Congrats on the babies. Very cute pics.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by