Baby Call Duck Walking with its tail tucked under

Pics

jkah37

Chirping
Nov 7, 2016
Gloversville
Hi there! I have 4 baby call ducks that were just recently born on Oct 1st. They have been doing well and growing fast, but I noticed yesterday that one of the babies is having a hard time standing and walking. It's almost as if it cant bend its legs, walks stiff and it tucks its tail underneath unlike the other 3. Or like any that I have ever seen since I've owned calls.
Does anyone have any input on this? I checked its feet and legs, no swelling or cuts anywhere to the naked eye.
I'm just concerned and dont want the baby to be suffering. It's still eating and drinking just fine.
I do have drakes that have been mating with the hen's, I'm wondering if one of the drakes tried "mounting" the baby and hurt it? I've kept them separated except for 2 days I let them all free range together. Help!

20191022_211639.jpg
20191022_211649.jpg
20191022_211649.jpg

I just did a little research, its possibly a niacin deficiency. Vitamin B supplements can help! The videos I watched of a duckling with niacin deficiency looks just like mine does when it walks. Maybe its that?!?
I really appreciate the input!

I just did a little research, its possibly a niacin deficiency. Vitamin B supplements can help! The videos I watched of a duckling with niacin deficiency looks just like mine does when it walks. Maybe its that?!?
I really appreciate the input!
Glad you might've figured it out! If you have a nearby Tractor Shoot Co. You should go there to look for vitimin b supplements :)
By the way, do you have names for your cuties we call ducks? :)

it might be worth taking the duckling inside and letting it bathe in warm water, Just to make sure its pooping normaly. But keep up with the vitamins

One of my newest ducklings was born with its tail bent and as its growing its tail is permenently bent to the side

Please keep the drakes separated from your ducklings. And yes first thing to try is b complex and all can Benefit from it. Give the one having trouble walking half ml by mouth and put 1 ml into their drinking container. Hopefully you will have caught it in time . TSC has liquid b complex best there is.

Back
Top Bottom