Baby Calls in Sock Cups

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bnemeth, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Bnemeth

Bnemeth Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    A few days a go someone posted on the call duck thread to put flipper baby calls in a cup with a sock liner - this weekend I had two flippers hatch and they look so cute and SAFE in their sock cups. Thank you for great advice!!!!

2. Keene's coop

Keene's coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    neenah, wisconsin
    whats the point of sock cups?

3. un-named

un-named Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Quote:What is the point of you posting that WITHOUT pics of the cuteness???
    get on it [​IMG]

4. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    That is just TOO CRUEL to tell us about it and not show us PICTURES!!! Lol!! Pleeeeese can we see tha pictures [​IMG]

5. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I want pictures, too! I want to see what you mean about them being safe and in sock cups.

6. Bnemeth

Apr 30, 2011
    I'll take some pics and figure out how to post them [​IMG] the point is to keep them on their feet and not their backs to keep them alive. I've learned Calls are definatly a challenge!

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  8. Keene's coop

Keene's coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    neenah, wisconsin
    do you have to do that with all ducklings? and what do you mean to keep them on their feet? i'm trying to learn as much as i can about ducks before i get them. so sorry for the dumb questions

9. Bnemeth

Apr 30, 2011
    I don't think all ducks have this issue (I've only had calls though) and I don't have to for all my calls, only the extra round ones that can't stay on their feet - calls are bred for round/small bodies with short necks and legs. This makes some topple over and with the short legs they can't always turn themselves over. After a day or two they are fine and run around like normal.

10. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

What's a flipper? I'm new to calls....lost the 4 I had in the hatcher yesterday due to a power outage--but I have another batch not too far behind them....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by