Baby camel

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by reveriereptile, May 5, 2008.

1. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    My boyfriend's dad owns 3 female camels and just bought a male last year when he had just shipped the females off to get bred. One of the females just had a baby female two weeks ago and it was her first and she wouldn't take care of it so we have to bottle feed it. We think she was premature since she was only about 40 pounds. Yesterday another camel just had a male which she has been protecting him and he was a good 62 pounds. Here are some pictures of the first baby. I have taken some of the new one but just haven't put them on the computer yet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. suenrob

suenrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    Very cute!!!!!!!!!!! Where do you live? Don't see camels around here. Are they pets or do they have another purpose?

3. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    awwwww - now I want one of those in my yard [​IMG] how cute !! any names yet for her ?

julie

4. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    Oh My Goodness!! She is just beautiful! [​IMG] What an honor to be able to care for and work with such a wonderful animal! Good Luck! keep us updated on how she is doing and show us lots and lots of pics, we love pics! [​IMG]

Lisa [​IMG]

5. reveriereptile

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    His dad got them to breed and sell the babies and hasn't really tried for a long time to get them to breed so he decided instead of just having them around to try breeding them. The oldest camel has had 2 female babies which are the ones that had their babies already. They are sort of a hobby pet. He likes exotic farm pets. She has a name but I'm not sure on the spelling. It is an Egyptian name Afferditie. We live in the northern part of NY along the Canadian border. If we drive 20 minutes we would be in Canada. It is funny during winter to see them out in the snow.

6. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    So cool!! If I ever got a chance to a have a hobby farm I would have dromedary camels, them and yaks...lol. [​IMG] I think they are such fascinating animals. Thanks for sharing!
    [​IMG]

7. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Ohhhh, I want one!!! That is just tooo cute. Congrats!

8. reveriereptile

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    Here is a picture of our adults before we moved them into a large field for the summer.
    [​IMG]

9. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

I hope this doesn't offend anyone...but when I see camels they remind me of Christmas and the 3 wise men...the camels always seem so majestic. I have heard that they are nicknamed "ships of the desert". That is so cool...I think I have camel envy![​IMG]

10. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Awsome camels I love them they are pretty cool animals.

Henry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by