baby chic feed

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by vizslamom, Oct 24, 2013.

1. vizslamom

vizslamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Napa,Ca
    Hi Everyone,
    New to the site and chickens. What I would like to know is what is medicated baby chic food. Went to buy a new bag of food and the lady said Medicated or not.....I said no...hope that's right . Can someone explain
    Thanks

2. amishhippie

amishhippie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2013
    Welcome! I'm not exactly sure what is in medicated feed, if it's just vitamins and minerals or if it has actual antibiotics in it, but I didn't use it. I got seven chicks from tractor supply and three from a hatchery, local, that I later found. All of my chicks grew healthy and fast with regular old chick feed. I personally feel that the proper temperature, adjusted as they grow, clean food and most importantly clean fresh drinking water is much more important than medicated feed. I don't baby my birds I figure they are just that birds, the wild ones don't have it as good as they do and the wild ones seem to survive. Don't know if this helps or not but in my opinion I wouldn't feed medicated feed. Good luck, they'll be fine if you follow your gut.

3. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    There is an article on this site entitled 'coccidiosis & medicated feed' by punkinpeep, that explains more elegantly than I can, what's in med. feed. Sue

4. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve.[​IMG]

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

The medicated feed has a small amount of an anti-coccidial drug such as amprolium in it to help prevent coccidiosis (doesn't always work though).

I don't feed medicated but do end up having to treat for cocci a lot when rearing chicks. I feed organic.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  7. Teri Metcalf

Teri Metcalf Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    College Station, Texas
    Greetings from Texas! Best wishes with your chicks.

8. amishhippie

amishhippie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2013
    Thanks for the link, I didn't know that about medicated feed, but always knew that fresh clean water was a necessity.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] no matter how much clean water you give them, you'll still find them drinking from their favorite muddy puddles.

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by