Baby chic with swollen vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by newchicfarmer, May 18, 2011.

1. newchicfarmer

newchicfarmer New Egg

May 18, 2011
    We just got our chics in the mail on monday and today when i went to check on them the one has a swollen vent, she has picked at it pretty good so put her on her own so the others wouldnt peck at it. There is also some clear drainage with white specks in it. I dont think she is really eating or drinking and her breed is a cornish hen. Any ideas? Thanks

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sorry noone has answered your post, hopefully if I give you a bump someone will and [​IMG]

3. rhs7111

rhs7111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    The chick is probably constipated, which is common in day olds who have been shipped (and deadly if not treated). Make some warm molasses water by mixing one large drop of food-grade molasses in to a tablespoon of WARM water. Make the chick drink 7-12 sips per day. It usually takes 3-4 days of doing so to address the problem. If you need to make the chick drink the molasses water by holding her and dipping her beak into the water, be careful not to submerge her nostrils else she will aspirate (also fatal). Also, make sure the regular (non-molasses) fresh drinking water is warm, not cool, because cool water can make constipation worse in chicks. Start giving the molasses water immediately.

4. vanhornfarm

vanhornfarm New Egg

Apr 19, 2014
    Cordova TN
    [​IMG]

We just got this baby pullet today and it looks like she has two vents, her tail has no feathers and looks swollen. She is 10 days old. Has anyone else seen this before?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by