Baby chic

nae-nae850

Hatching
Jan 25, 2017
Milton
Had a friend that gave me 10 eggs an so they are hatching an I'm very excited about it.But my question is two of them was born with a little comb all ready is this pretty normal or does it mean they are most likely going to be roosters .I don't know what breed they are so it's going to be a surprise when they get big

Significant comb development at hatch could well indicate you have a cockerel, although it may depend on the breed.

I see that you have posted in this forum before.

If you pull down the menu shown above, it will list all the forums. Click on the forum that is most appropriate and then begin a thread. In this case, it could be "Raising baby chicks" or "incubating and hatching eggs".

You will have a better chance of getting the best advice if you post in the most appropriate forum.

Best wishes
CT

Welcome to BYC
Can you possibly take and post some photos of the chicks -- one person's idea of "a little comb" and the next person's idea of the same can vary quite a bit so actually seeing what you are seeing is helpful in answering this sort of question. Single combed breeds often have a visible "bud" to their comb at hatch - rose and pea comb breeds tend to just have the area where the comb will later grow as a visible area but not really any development to the comb.

I agree with old Grey Mare. Once they are dry and fluffed out you probably wouldn't even notice. What they have is more like a "parking space," where the comb will eventually fill it..

Last edited:
Greetings and a belated
welcome-byc.gif
! Happy you joined our community!

Back
Top Bottom